Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any more information

Conor Dodd

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Conor,

Officer of the Loyal North Lancashire Regt, medal ribbons are the Queens South Africa/Queens Mediterranean & Kings South Africa?

Any other offers?

Ian

:)

Not too sure on the ribbons, but I'd say they're definately not QSA and KSA. (In B&W, the central stripe of the QSA always shows up as lighter than the 2 surrounding it (this one doesn't) and the tri-colour KSA is usually pretty obvious).

Definately a Loyals officer,though.

Dave.

Could it be the QSA and Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry medal?

Guest Hill 60

The first one could be the India 1895-1902 Medal.

The other could be:

1. Imperial Yeomanry LS&GC Medal.

2. Militia LS&GC Medal.

3. 1903 Visit to Ireland Medal.

4. 1911 Delhi Durbar Medal.

1 & 2, if I remember rightly, were only awarded to NCOs & below. It could be that this Officer was a ranker earlier on his career.

Could it be the QSA and Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry medal?

The second medal ribbon appears to be all one colour, this seems to eliminate the Delhi Durhar, the dark blue thin stripes would surely be visible. Depending on the photographic process different colors do not always appear as you would expect when converted to monochrome, but you should see the contrast (the same applies for the dark green and yellow of the IYLS&GC Medal).

Both the visit to Ireland medals (1900 & 1903) were only issued to members of the Royal Irish Constabulary and Dublin Metropolitan Police.

The Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry Medal was issued in the SA war to men of this unit. Also, to quote my copy of the medal yearbook "Many medals were produced locally and awarded to officers and men of county regiments" The plain yellow ribbon seems to match and fits in with the QSA ribbon.

The Loyal North Lancs were in SA and if the officer was from the Yorkshire / Lancashire area he could have served in either unit during this war and still received this award.

Not sure if there is a roll to this medal but it would be interesting to see if any LNL's were awarded it.

John.

Could it be the old LSGC ribbon EVII or Victoria ?

Conor

I was thinking that myself,Conor. The solid crimson ribbon for this medal was also in use under George V ,untill 1917 I believe. (I'm still not happy about the first one being a QSA, by the way! - the contrast in colour strikes me as being wrong for this medal)

Dave.