Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps in Kentucky

paul guthrie

I am sure some of you remember J H Hartley, 389th man to join MGC as 3389. He is buried here and UK member Andrew Fitton seem to have done all we can to research him.

Soldiers Dies tells us he enlisted in Darwen, born Rawtenstall. He is in no Book of Remembrance and on no Memorial. This is not right. He does have a great headstone here erected by US officers at Camp Taylor, Louisville where he died. I also know he saw action before he came here.

Any advice on getting him on a memorial? Should WFA Branch make the request? Thanks.

Evening Paul.

I seem to have a vague recollection that this has been done before,with men that have been identified from remains found long after the war.

I am no expert,but it may be worth contacting the local Parish council of Rawtenstall and the District Council of the area.

I believe that these are the people that would be maintaining this monument and would probably be the best to contact.

I am sure that the WFA and it's members,would be pleased to see this man commerated on his local monument.

I have seen a photo of the stone in Lexington and it is a very good headstone,payed for by the officers at Camp Taylor.

Good luck Paul.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.