Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Travis Perkins, Grosvenor Road, Altrincham

Sidearm

Hi all

I'm hoping a Pal in the Altrincham area might be able to help me please?

My research area of interest is tank and tank component production in the Great War.  The firm Russell, Newbery & Co (still extant as the RN Diesel Engine Co) made parts for tank engines.  It was based at premises in Grosvenor Road, Altrincham, Manchester between 1909 and 1949 and those premises still stand, but are now (I believe) occupied by Travis Perkins.  I'd like to obtain a few photos of them just for my files if possible. 

Is there someone nearby who could manage to get me a few photographs please?  If so, please speak to the manager first as I don't want you arrested as someone sizing up the joint...  To help, there is supposed to be a plaque somewhere there commemorating its use by Russell, Newbery & Co and I can send contacts who will vouch for my genuine interest and honest intent.

Thanks

Gwyn

Gwyn,

Travis Perkins in Altrincham is not on GROSVENOR ROAD, but on MANOR ROAD 50m due E of Tesco's.

Exploring Altrincham by StreetView, I spotted this plaque on the side of a building in GROSVENOR ROAD:

https://goo.gl/maps/jAYF5CxBEAR2

5a4e7120a7804_RussellNewberyGrosvenorRd-A.jpg.e46270985ffa5bd0738e29b46fcedc25.jpg  5a4e71214257c_RussellNewberyGrosvenorRd-B.jpg.7bfe2327091d076f4c40f220914dd3b4.jpg

I cannot quite make it out, but the 'R.N.' logo on the RHS suggests it concerns Russell Newbery

The position of the plaque relative to the entrance:

5a4e7121e23e0_RussellNewberyGrosvenorRd-C.jpg.a4043ebaae3636572ac12c74099225fc.jpg

The Russell Newbery enthusiasts website has this image of a plaque that is clearly the plaque above ...

AltrinchamPlaque_420x222.jpg

with these notes ...

Altrincham Works Site

The original Russell Newbery works at Altrincham still stands and is now occupied by Travis Perkins. On Saturday 5th April 2003, The Russell Newbery Register and the RN Diesel Engine Co. Ltd. actioned a long held desire to have a suitable commemoration of the historical importance of the works. The prime mover behind the idea was David Thirlby, stepson of Frederick Russell. Lady Carol Stamp, eldest granddaughter of Frederick Russell, unveiled a commemorative plaque, the inscription is as follows:

THE ALTRINCHAM WORKS OF
RUSSELL NEWBERY & CO. LTD
OCCUPIED THIS SITE 1909 - 1949.
FOUNDED BY FREDERICK RUSSELL & WILLIAM NEWBERY
PIONEER DESIGNERS, MANUFACTURERS AND PATENTEES
OF INNOVATIVE AND PROFICIENT GENERATOR SETS
AND MARINE DIESEL ENGINES

THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
LADY CAROL STAMP
GRANDDAUGHTER OF FREDERICK RUSSELL,
ON THE 5TH APRIL 2003
ON BEHALF OF THE MEMBERS OF THE RUSSELL NEWBERY REGISTER

Link here (though you have clearly already found this yourself!) :  http://www.rnregister.org.uk/history_1.html

The building is at 30 Grosvenor Road, Altrincham, WA14 1LD, OS Grid Ref SJ 7715 8841

Contemporary map side-by-side with modern aerial:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=53.3921&lon=-2.3453&layers=168&right=BingHyb

When the StreetView image was taken, the building was the City Plumbing Supplies warehouse, but this has now re-located elsewhere in Altrincham and this site is now A4 Studios - a studio space for artists, craftspeople, musicians and exhibitions.

Their website - https://a4studio.wixsite.com/studio - has some internal pictures, and also a plan (below) of the internal arrangements, but I rather suspect the original internals have been gutted.

ca5fd4_8b1e411fef18492798da120ddf1abe1a~

There are some even better photos of the site being refitted in a Facebook Album page here:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/A4StudiosAndGallery/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1913562782259381

... and as a real bonus, they've done a walkthrough video on YouTube here:

Incidentally, GROSVENOR ROAD appears to have been known as part of STAMFORD STREET until ~1909, roughly when Russell Newbery was formed.

I'll now move on to seeing if there are any contemporary photos in the Manchester archives, as per our Temple Street Ironworks topic, but being further out from the city centre, I am not optimistic that I'll find much on-line.

Regrettably I cannot get over to Altrincham to take photos myself, but at least now any other Pal who can, has the exact location to go to!

All the best!

Mark

Not much found in the archives so far, but here's an aerial photo from 1927, which I've marked up with landmarks ...

5a4e81e94894e_Altrincham1927-B.PNG.b17863f6ce26d3b39a380d8c9e91f1c3.PNG

© Britain from Above

Mark

Hi Gwyn,

If you want some high resolution photographs of the site and the plaque I live nearby, but I can't get there this weekend but perhaps next.

• 3 years later...

Hello Gwyn,

I am new to this forum site but a former resident of Timperley, just outside Altrincham. If this is any help to you, the property was owned by Duncan Knowlson, Plumbers Merchant possibly bought from Russell Newbery. Knowlsons was probably taken over by Travis Perkins or City Plumbing, whichever came first.