Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Y Ravine" Gallipoli

john white

Dear Forum Members

Happy New Year to you all.

Does anyone know of any photograph showing the above which went up the cliff at Y Beach?

Regards

John White

John,

Happy New Year and welcome to the GWF

I am not sure if this will be any help to you, but in case it is

the picture below was taken last year, looking down (from Gully Spur to) the 'ravine' and   Y Beach

As I understand it, the terrain was not so thickly overgrown in 1915

Michael

5a4cf4a105b0d_YBeachfrmabove.JPG.f22bee27e02b45b3c220e15e16a7d551.JPG

Dear Michael and Crunchy

Thank you both for your replies and excellent photographs. I seem to remember a photograph in one of Steve Chamber's books but am not sure which one.

Regards

John White

27 minutes ago, john white said:

I seem to remember a photograph in one of Steve Chamber's books but am not sure which one.

John

Have a look at Steve's Gully Ravine [ISBN 0 85052 923 9]

on p.170> he describes his Tour 5: Fusilier Bluff to Y Beach (North) and this probably has the picture you are searching for 

regards

Michael

Dear Michael

Thanks for  your reply. I will look at the book over the weekend.

Reagrds

J W

• 2 months later...

John,

If you're still searching for pictures of Y Ravine then you may like to add this one 

It appears in Keyes' autobiography [vol. 1910-1915] and may have been taken either during the war, or perhaps very shortly afterwards5ac0b944b8343_YBeach.jpg.a40d6c040b476ffd554cee5561e8efe8.jpg

It also offers a different view from the previous shots; ie from the south

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Michael

Thank you for the photograph. Very inhospitable terrain. The poem was,I believe, by Jack Churchill who was a staff officer at Gallipoli. You wonder how much of a source of information he was to his brother.

Thanks again

J W

5 hours ago, john white said:

You wonder how much of a source of information he was to his brother.

They certainly kept in touch

Looking at the two Companion Volumes to Martin Gilbert's 'Winston S Churchill Vol. III 1914-1916', the index indicates about +/- 25 letters from Jack during the campaign

and of course there may have been more which did not make it into the above vols.

regards

Michael

Dear Michael

Please see the attached photo which I have found showing  some of Y Beach. It was selected by Hamilton on the morning of March 18th 1915 for a landing before he observed the naval battle. There was another gully on Y beach called , I think, Gurkha gully but I have never seen a photograph of it. Interesting the role of the future Admiral of the Fleet Roger Keyes. He was a strong proponent of the Gallipoli campaign but not a great admirer of de Robeck. By 1918 he was responsible for planning in the navy and if the war had gone on into 1919 another attack would have been  made on the Dardanelles but only by the Navy. Have those plans ever been revealed?

I have been to Gallipoli on 11 occasions and it always brings new interests relating to the campaign.

Thank you for your help. 

Regards

J W

Y beach Gallipoli.jpg