Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devonshire Regiment and Military Foot Police - W.J. Bishop

Hello,

My G-Grandfather was William James Bishop but on all documentation I have including information on the Corps of Military Police website he is referred to as W. J. Bishop. When he was part of the Devonshire Regiment he was a Private and his regiment number was 21592. He became part of the Military Foot Police where he became an acting Lance Corporal with the number P.16577. 

I have his transcripts although trying to infer what they say is proofing difficult. The dates provided on the Corps of Military Police state he served abroad in Mesopotamia for a month (after a spell in France with the 9th) and gave the specific dates of 11/8/1917 to 10/9/1917 for Mesopotamia - these were the dates from his embarkment from Southampton to his disembarkment in Basrah on 11/9/17. It’s here he stayed for the rest of the war and until his demob in 1920 and where I assume he transferred to the MFP around August 1918 due to his MFP number. I also know that the MFP issued him with his medals. 

I would appreaciate any information anyone has or if anyone can point me in a new direction. 

Many thanks,

Roxanne

Welcome to the forum.

His records seem pretty complete. What exactly are you struggling with? What is it you are particularly after? The records show he was in France Sep-Dec 1916 with 9 Devons. The War Diary, if available, will tell you what they were up to. His time in Mesopotamia may be harder to track. 

I find writing out the info in chronological order helps you to understand it all. 

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you. It mainly his time in the Middle East as that’s where he seemed to spend most of his time and I’m drawing a blank. I have written things out chronologically and just have a huge gap for about 2.5 yrs. There doesn’t seem to be much in terms of information for Mesopotamia. I assume he was part of the 2/6 Devons because of the dates I have but that is a pure assumption. I have no evidence to support that theory.   

I guess I wanted some information around the reasons why he joined the MFP. Seems like soldiers with policing experience tended to transfer but William was a farmer. I know there is probably no way of ever knowing but it is hard not to wonder once you start looking deeper into someone’s past. 

Thank you for your reply.