Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Perth Digger

Albert Ernest FENLON enlisted in the 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers after being discharged from the 11th Royal West Kent Regiment for being underage. His NF number was 46354. He later was posted to the 1/9th Royal Scots, number 49661.

Can any estimated dates of service be found from these regimental numbers, please?

Thanks

Mike

Do not know but some indication his original surname was Mulcock and he took his stepfather’s name. Also picture of him on Ancestry.

HI Mark

Thanks. I am helping the lady who has placed the picture on Ancestry.

Mike

Mike,

The five digit number is not an original 9th Royal Scots number, but there are a couple of men with similar numbers.

In this topic, started by ForeignGong, Reginald Harold Shoobridge was 25th Royal Fusiliers, transferred to 2/4th Royal Scots (where his number probably originates) and then seems to have have moved to 2/9th Royal Scots in Ireland in August 1917 when 2/4th Royal Scots disbanded and were absorbed into the other battalions of the brigade. 

Other examples include Sidney Sutton 49667 and Alexander Massey E Kent Regt 1556 / 49670.

Sadly I have nothing more on Fenlon than his medal roll entry https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/

Neill

Looking at SWB records method for NF number I cannot determine a consistent pattern.  A NF expert might know better but I do not think you can determine his enlistment date from his NF number

Thanks, Mark and Neill.

Neill, are you suggesting that he may have been with the 4th Royal Scots at some point?  He was gassed at some point, but whether he was with the NF or RS I don't know. The obvious guess would be NF, and into RS after recovery. By the end of the war he was a 1st Class Signaller.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger
Added information

I agree, it would seem possible he was gassed and sent to the second line battalion 2/4th Royal Scots (they were in Scotland until March 16, then Essex until January 1917, then Ireland until disbanded August 1917 - to be transferred to other second line RS battalions). As he is clearly listed in the medal roll for the first line 1/9th RS one could assume he went back to France and Flanders after Aug 17? This is a bit sketchy as it is based on Shoobridge's experience. A 4th RS expert would be useful! (and might have a grasp of service number v date).

There is no medical record on FWR and so far I can trace no relevant newspaper report of wounding. 

Just to undermine my speculation, although the medal roll often runs in batches (and it is conceivable Fenlon can be put in a batch with the other three mentioned who had 9/RS service), it jumps about a good deal. Could these be depot numbers assigned to men for redistribution amongst the RS battalions? Shoobridge was listed as RS Depot. Outside my (narrow) experience I'm sorry to say.

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

Quite the reverse, Neill. It's my question which is narrow. According to his wife's much later reminiscences, Fenlon suffered debility (couldn't get out of bed) and nose bleeds after the war for a bit. But I couldn't find any pension record, as Mark has noted too. 

Mark, newspaper stopped official reports of wounding in 1917, didn't they? Fenlon was a South London boy in a Northern and then a Scottish regiment, so local newspapers up north wouldn't get a family report, not would the South London newspapers necessarily be interested. 

Thank you both for taking an interest.

Mike