Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kilworth Camp and the 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Gardenerbill

I am researching No 7216 Bandsmen Ernest Bedingham from London who served with 2nd RDF from 1900 to 1905.
In his service papers his battalion appear to be based at Kilworth. Was Kilworth the base of the RDF around 1900 to 1905?
I have searched on line and on the forum and can't find anything of use.

Kilworth camp is a military training camp mid-way between Fermoy & Mitchelstown in Co. Cork. 

It was not particularly connected with the RDF as far as I know, it was probably just a posting like any other. Although 5 years seems a long stint in Kilworth. 

The 2/RDF  spent the years immediately prior to Great War in Gravesend. 

The RDF depot was based in Naas Co. Kildare. 

Edited by Jervis

Just to add, there is very little in Kilworth camp apart from billets, mess buildings etc. So I'd be very surprised if 2/RDF were posted there for anything other than a brief period of training. 

Edited by Jervis

Jervis, thank you that is a great help.

Ernest Bedingham was initially posted to the depot, now confirmed as at Naas. The references to Kilworth are all in August 1905 so the battalion were presumably on a training exercise there. A search for Naas brought up this web site:

Dublin Fusiliers

I suspect the reason I didn't find anything when searching before was because URL doesn't include 'Royal'.

2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

I suspect the reason I didn't find anything when searching before was because URL doesn't include 'Royal'.

When you are buying a URL you don't always get the option of a full name :)

The 2nd RDF left South Africa in January 1902 and spent a short spell in Aden before returning to Ireland where they were based in Co. Cork at Buttevant 1903-06 and Fermoy 1906-10.

It is possible that they used the Kilworth Ranges for Musketry practice.

Pre War the battalion was at Aldershot 1910-1912 when they moved to Gravesend.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Ernest was posted Bandsman to the 2nd Battalion RDF 1st January 1901, but he was only 14 and didn't go overseas. So where would he be at that time Naas or Buttevant?