Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 Missing year for British Indian army officer

Pte Snuffy

I am researching Lt.Col. Alexander Gallwey Shea of the British Indian Army.   His unit the 51st Sikhs went to Palestine from Mesopotamia on the last day of 1917.  He did not accompany them, according to unit war diaries.  Then Major A.G.Shea was made a Temporary Lt.Colonel 24-2-1918.  I can't find what unit he may have been attached to in 1918.  I am thinking they wouldn't have given him temporary promotion unless they had a job for him that required the rank.  My lists are missing his entry for 1918.   He commanded 3/19 Hyderabad after the war, but they were created after 1918, I believe.

Could anyone who has a copy of the 1918 list check,  or is their another way to find out who the British Indian Army battalion commanders were in 1918?  alot of Indian army units were going to Palestine at that time.  Maybe one needed a bn. commander.

kind regards

Pte Snuffy

Dear Pte Snuffy,

I checked the July 1918 Indian Army List for Lt-Col A. G. Shea, DSO, and found that he had been attached to the Headquarters Staff of the Army in India, Adjutant-General's Branch (Director of Personal Services).

He was under Brig-Gen H. Barstow (38 Dogras), who was the Director of Administration. Major (temporary Lt-Col) A. G. Shea, DSO (51 Sikhs) was Assistant Adjutant-General, from 19 February 1918.

Voila!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

• 1 month later...

Snuffy,

The 3rd battalion, 19th Hyderabad Regiment came into being in 1922 on the re-designation of the old 97th Deccan Infantry.

He was promoted substantive Lt-Col in the Army dated 3 May 1921 as of 5th November 1922 and is listed as the CO of the 3rd battalion, 19th Hyderabad Regiment in my April 1923 Indian Army List.

Regards,

Matthew