Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Town major in BAILLEUL North France (59270)

ghislain kepanowski

Hello everyone, My name is Ghislain,

I am looking for the Town Major who was at BAILLEUL North of France in April 1918. I am doing a memory work on the evacuation of the civilian population of the city of Bailleul by the British army in 1918.

Please, help me.

Regards.

thank you very much

Ghislain from BAILLEUL

Ghislain, I am afraid that I have not found the name of the Town Major when I carried out a recent study of the evacuation. If it is mentioned anywhere at all, it is likely to be in the war diaries of the Adjutant of Second Army or the Adjutant of XV Corps. Both can be obtained from the National Archives as a PDF, for a nominal fee.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Ha ok !!!!

My goal (objective) is to find informations on the town major in Bailleul. But also information about the Order of evacuation civil of Bailleul. Who gave this Order and when? Dated ?

Regards,

Ghislain

Hello Ghislain,

there is a brief description of the evacuation of Bailleul here , starting on page 6.  However, there is no mention of the Town Major, unfortunately. 

The town major was a britich sodier.

I have a litle information :

CHARLES JOHN MCKINNON THOMPSON

Lieutenant 1st Battalion., Northumberland Fusiliers

who died on Monday 27 March 1916 . Age 23 .

Additional Information: Son of the Rev. S. McKinnon Thompson, Vicar of Northallerton, and Edith Rose Thompson. Assistant Town Major at Bailleul, 1915-16. Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium Grave or Reference Panel Number: Panel 8 and 12 Haileybury Register 1862-1983 Thomason 1907-10 born 10 January 1893 Killed in Action at St. Eloi *************************************************************************************

CASSILLIS, The Right Hon. The Earl of.

Eton. Eton College Vols. 1887-90, Private. Trinity College, Cambridge. Student

of Law, 1895-7. Advocate, 1897. South African Campaign, 1900-2. 3rd, 1st

and 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers, Dec. 1914; Captain Dec. 1899; Major 191 1 ;

Rejoined Dec. 1914. Town Major of Bailleul Dec. 1915, and Lassel Dec. 1918.

Dispatches July 1919.

Ghislain,

If the Earl of Cassillis was the Town Major you are looking for, then his full name was Archibald Kennedy, 4th Marquess of Ailsa. He was also known as the Earl of Cassillis or Lord Cassillis.

The family home was Culzean Castle, South Ayrshire, Scotland until it was sold to the National Trust for Scotland in 1945. The family then moved to Cassillis House (also known as Cassillis Castle) near Maybole in South Ayrshire, Scotland until it was sold a number of years ago.

Info from Wiki -

Link

Also, from The Peerage -

Link

His Medal Index Card - 

Link

This shows his post-war address as Adamton House, Monkton, Ayrshire (which is near Prestwick Airport).

Hope this helps.

Iain.

Edited by TwoEssGee
info

12 hours ago, ghislain kepanowski said:

I' can't not open your link. Sorry,

Can you send this link with mail ?

gkepa.info@gmail.com

Toutes mes excuses, Ghislain,

Le lien ne fonctionne plus pour moi non plus!

Le revoici, en clair; j’espère que cela marchera mieux:

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1514769495066~56&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Angela

And here is a bit more information on Charles Thompson:

Thompson, C.J.M., Lieut., 1916

Charles also acted as assistant Town Major at Bailleul from March 1915-16. Charles was an accomplished linguist. He then was recalled to his regiment 15th March 1916.

Full text here:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1421&displayorder=179

Charles was the son of the Reverend Samuel McKinnon Thompson, born in Ireland and Vicar of Northallerton, and Edith Rose McKinnon Thompson. The family lived in the Old Vicarage at Northallerton with their two servants, Kathleen Kitching and Alice Stainthorpe. Charles was born in Tudhoe, Durham in 1893 and was educated at the Abbey Beckenham, Haileybury College and Armstrong College. Charles was studying Civil Engineering when war broke out.

Chalres served in France during 1914. On the 12th August 1915, Charles was promoted to Lieutenant. He served in the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from 29th September 1914. Charles was Acting Town Major at Bailleul in Northern France from 1915 - 1916. He was described as a "brave and capable soldier" by his commanding officer.

Charles was wounded after being struck by a shell when in the second German trench on 27th March 1916 whilst leading his troops at St Eloi and died two days later, aged 23. This was during enemy diversionary attacks around the Ypres Salient, lasting from 27th March to 16th April 1916. The objective of the attack was to advance beyond the craters to the third German trench line.

http://memorial.ncl.ac.uk/explore/thompsoncharles-john-mckinnon

23 hours ago, angelab said:

Toutes mes excuses, Ghislain,

Le lien ne fonctionne plus pour moi non plus!

Le revoici, en clair; j’espère que cela marchera mieux:

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1514769495066~56&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Angela

Sorry but this link is not ok too.

Votre second lien ne fonctionne pas non plus.

Merci de votre aide.

Bonne année 2018,

Regards,

Hello Ghislain,

I have a book called Bailleul 1914-1918 British Garrison Town published in English and French by

Cercle d'histoire &d'archeologie de Bailleul Monts de Flandre. The President of the Cercle was a

Philippe Ducrocq in 2013-2014.

The book mentions the Earl of Cassillis as being the Town Major, as already reported in the earlier

posts, and since the Cercle obviously did a lot of research for the book, I wonder if they have more

information that may help you.

Regards

Geoff

Ghislain,

c'est bizarre que l'on ne puisse pas y accéder par le lien !

Essaie plutôt de rechercher dans Google (ou autre):

memories of flanders bailleul 

Pour moi, cela fait paraître le site en haut tout de suite, et j'arrive facilement à y aller.

Bonne chance - et bonne année !

Ok merci; super super directement avec Google c'est parfait.

Merci beaucoup de votre aide précieuse pour moi est mes recherches.

Sincèrement MERCI Madame.

Ghislain