Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery

Hi

I'm attempting to research my fathers service through WW1

He enlisted in Wellington New Zealand in 1914 and i have been able to track him to Egypt with the ANZUS troops as a private. Did he go to Gallipoli?

I am told he transferred out of the NZ army into the British army where he had trained in the Artillery in the early 1900's and I have a silver paper weight for the Northumberland Artillery

Sadly I have no details of number other than he achieved the rank of Major and was in the Royal Field Artillery as he had a love of horses but rarely mentioned his service and being young in his later years never thought about the horrors through which he must have been exposed.

I've learnt that WW1 records were destroyed in the WW2 blitz so I'm struggling. Through Forces War Records I have found two records for a Major H Ward with mentions in the London Gazette

17/2/1915 134 Battery Royal Field Artillery

22/6/1915 33 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

On researching 134 Battery was attached to 32 Brigade RFA and a Major Swally in an Invisionzone comment dated 2012, noted that Major H Ward led that battery.

So how am I able to confirm that is indeed my father?

Is it possible that he might have been transferred to the 32 Brigade in the intervening Gazette reporting periods?

Can anyone provide me with some help please - would be much appreciated. Many thanks

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

If you have tracked him as a Private to Egypt where the first ANZAC troops landed in December1914 , it seems highly unlikely (almost impossible) he appears as a Major in the British Army in February 1915.

The Gazette references are both for 'Mention in Dispatches' and it appears this H Ward was promoted to Lt Col and awarded a DSO. Although it is a fairly common name.

Have you searched the New Zealand Archives?  We can only help you if you tell us what you know.

Ken

Thank you for your response Ken. My thoughts are that he was commissioned during his service period of training at Sandhurst and subsequently with the Northumberland Artillery - I presume that commission would transfer when he rejoined the RFA in 1915?

Yes I have researched here in NZ which is how I know he reached Egypt but at that point the trail dies and it has been my thinking that he transferred to the British Army from there.

This is the point I have reached in my research and an really looking for any helpful advice as to how I might advance further if at all possible. Reading your comments it seems a long shot.

Anthony

The Major H Ward, RFA who commanded a battery in 32 Brigade RFA was Major Harry Ward, RFA who was born on 14 March 1876 and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, RFA on 21 March 1896.  He was awarded the CMG and DSO.  

• 4 months later...

see link http://www.42regt.com/batterys/134 bty/serving_officers.html

not all the records were destroyed, fortunately I found my Grandfathers but they were all singed around the edges.

surley if he served at Sandhurst they will have more information like next of kin etc. Good luck

Chris Dunham

What makes you think that he was at Sandhurst? That is where cavalry and infantry officer cadets were trained. Those for the artillery and engineers were trained at Woolwich. The two institutions were not combined until 1947.

Ron