Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Ottoman officers in the Vosges in May-June 1918

trajan

#94 and #95 are way off. We are here along the railway line Freiburg-Titisee (lake) a very popular tourist magnet. It is opposite the Vosges mountains across the Rhine Valley in the heart of the Black Forest.

A nice add-on for their business trip with lots of sightseeing under the disguise of railroad inspections.

2 hours ago, egbert said:

Julian, I need the full Thalbahn map please!!!!!! this seems to be a cut-off scan.

(Kaysersberger) Thalbahn is the name of a Railroad in the valley of the Weiss River, connecting  SchnierlachMarkirch in Leberthal (valley of the River Leber) with Schirmeck in Breuschthal (valley of River Breusch).

Just for you mate! It is a bu**er of a size - 41 x 31 cm - so won't fit on my scanner. Hopefully the graduate assistant comes tomorrow or this week and I'll see what can be done. What I give you here for now is a photograph plus some sectional scan details to print off and cut out to to form a single map. Hope that keeps you happy for a day or two! But, what is a "Febamt"?

DSCN2272.jpg

scan0032.jpg

scan0031.jpg

scan0030.jpg

scan0029.jpg

scan0028.jpg

scan0027.jpg

1 hour ago, egbert said:

OMG its still there today, Hirschsprung im Höllental

Source: https://www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info/Media/Attraktionen/Hirschsprung-im-Hoellental

I had a feeling that it was a statue so nice to have it confirmed. And never knew that a deer could spring over a 9 m wide gap before! 

15 minutes ago, trajan said:

But, what is a "Febamt"?

Never heard this word "Febamt". Maybe somebody else with German knowledge knows? Probably it is a very old designation for an (administration) district that is not used anymore.

Febamt Habsheim - only know 2 irrelevant facts: the aerodrome was occupied by JaSta 15 with Ernst Udet. It is the same aerodrome where the Air France A320 crashed .....

Julian I am eagerly awaiting your assistant. 

Maybe FEldBahn? So 'Feldbahn Amt'?

Correct military abbreviation for Feldbahnamt is FeBA. So can be can be not.....but I tend to support your explanation as there was indeed a FeBA Habsheim!

On ‎11‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 09:08, trajan said:

And the locomotive number is 1091...

12 R 00A 03.jpg

And a railroad expert just responded me:

Sä. 1091, new No. 53 671 , Hartmann 1895 / 2075, + ,Cn2v, former class Sä.V v, G33.14

whatever that says.....

Another source now suggests it is indeed "Vulkan 72/390 „ANKLAM“, C 10 : 148 06 later G 2 : 1091 . Locomotive still in active service 1925.

He says that Hartmann locos then had a rounded steam dome not a square one like the one depicted.

Edited by egbert
new information

Good to know that - whatever "Sä" is ! Mixed in with the two lots of photographs I bought seperatly from the album are two or three unlabelled ones of locomotives that have abbrevations such as this and other abbreviations (e.g., "H1") on the front. 

Egbert and others: I plan to scan and post sequentially the loose photographs that I have as listed in the document shown in post 97, and then the other unlabelled ones as above that seem to belong to the same series. I'll get my graduate assistant working on how to get good high-quality resolutions of the minor plans and cross-sections in the album, plus the Tahlbahn plan and the big plan and post them when they are available. The letter at the end has yet to be transcribed and translated, but my own poor efforts match what Egbert noted before - it is  addressed to a Major, probably of Wurttenburgische origin, and so the album did not belong to one of the Ottoman officers.

I'll do the Bayerische Eisenbahne-Betriebs-Komp. 4 set of photographs in a new thread. Most of these were taken with a Kodak Pocket Kamera and so I have the dates - the earliest is 24 III -1917, the latest 17 IX 1917. There are two undated ones that fit the series, one showing the commander and his 'house': the label on the door says "Josef Kleinheinz".

Time for dinner!

Julian

Edited by trajan

Julian, whenever you need direction to the geography of photos which you can not identify -please let me know as I have identified all stations from this thread. Interesting to follow some of the narrow gauge tracks which are today bycicle lanes, i.e. Hartwald track with street view and IGN maps.

8 hours ago, trajan said:

Then

13 V 00B.jpg

Now

5a807856aece9_ZillisheimBrcke.jpg.5c2862afa2e5f3864e5a83e3dca81099.jpg

Location from former Feldbahnhubbrücke Zillisheim.

Watch out for Feldbahn coming from behind....

5a8079c35c94c_Feldbahncoming.jpg.f4e19b65247025f167c43ae0cb614420.jpg

Edited by egbert

Thanks Egbert, for that update.

I have my 'yardimci' in training and she has found a place to do high resolution scans. Maps and sections first, this coming week. Then album photographs later - does anyone else have specific requests? 

Then I'll get started on the loose photographs before doing the other set - the Bavarian eisenbahn company ones.

Sorry it is taking so long. Combination of overwork and two highly active young boys with homework issues! :wacko:

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2018 at 16:23, trajan said:

I have my 'yardimci' in training and she has found a place to do high resolution scans. Maps and sections first, this coming week. Then album photographs later - does anyone else have specific requests? ... Sorry it is taking so long. Combination of overwork and two highly active young boys with homework issues! :wacko:

Have finally located a scanner and hope to get those maps done on Tuesday... A bit nervous about this as it is a rotary scanner and these are 100 years old pieces of - almost exactly 100 years old in fact... I plan to get better scans of the album maps and elevation sections done also.

Egbert has been quite rightly nagging me to 'get on with it', :ph34r: so for now the loose photographs that evidently belong to the album as one of them contains our two Ottoman officers, and they are described in the list tucked into the back of the album - 

16 00A.jpg

Nos. 1 and 2:

01 recto.jpg

01 verso.jpg

02 recto.jpg

02 verso.jpg

Nos 3 and 4

03 recto.jpg

03 verso.jpg

04 recto.jpg

04 verso.jpg

Nos 5 and 6

05 recto.jpg

05 verso.jpg

06 recto.jpg

06 verso.jpg

Nos 6 bis and 7 - no 6 bis is not listed on the page shown above but shows clearly the two Ottoman officers, and several of the guard on parade have Garde stripes on their cuffs.

06 bis recto.jpg

06 bis verso.jpg

07 recto.jpg

07 verso.jpg

Nos 8 and 9 complete the list photographs.

08 recto.jpg

08 verso.jpg

09 recto.jpg

09 verso.jpg

The following postcard and the first of three photographs clearly belong to the album - note the Se on the locomotive on the postcard, as in one of the album shots, beneath that 'PENDELDIENST' - 'shuttle service'. Th turntable photograph has the following locomotives - from left to right - with these letters on their funnels: 'H', 'Hi', Ma', Ma', then a 'H' on the back of the coal tender, and finally an 'Sa'.

None of these nor the next two have anything on the back, except a pencileld annotation 'MUS', which is also to be seen on the first page of the album.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last two photographs, also with 'MUS' pencilled on them. The two locomotives in the first are both labeleld 'Se', the one with the number is '2404'.The chap operating the tuntable has a 'feldmuetze' on - the state cockade is visible but I can't see anything to indicates which one. The second 'repair yard' photograph has a locomotive 'Se' in front of a locomotive with its 'smoke box' missing, and the writing on the wagon to the left looks to be 'Mil-Gen-Direktion'.

OK, all for now... Hopefully more after Tuesday...

12.jpg

13.jpg

On ‎01‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 12:21, trajan said:

10.jpg

I asked experts on my RR forum and they have responded with a wealth of information.

First picture: this loco is a Belgian series 10 version.

The long boiler - darn Julian I need better resolution pics - shows a German class designation S08/ identure number.

Absolutely revealing is the other marking. It says "MA Sedan". 

"SE" stands for Sedan

For all the following images it is suggested with a high probability of certainty that all images are indeed taken in/at depot Sedan-Mohon.

On ‎01‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 12:21, trajan said:

11.jpg

Left of turntable operator: Prussian freight loco G7.1 or G8

Right of turntable operator: unknown

Next with "MA": Prussian tender loco

Next with "MA": Prussian P8

Next: unknown loco showing tender: Prussian tender

Next: Bavarian loco

Far right: not recognizable