Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Ottoman officers in the Vosges in May-June 1918

trajan

Great pictures.

Sorry could not resist -this aerial picture from km 10,4 summer 1916

anl.jpg.30d58409e0b4af5cff3fe583e2294436.jpg.fa3ef0e0bd42a2bb4245e02f5f1aafcc.jpg

Edited by egbert

On 12/28/2017 at 18:25, trajan said:

So, with those two Ottoman chappies there, then a group from another Armee? Perhaps from Galicia, where there was an Ottoman Corps, the XV?

The Ottoman XV Corps had been withdrawn from the Südarmee following the Russian collapse, so this probably isn't relevant given the date of these photos.

Edited by bierast

Julian, would you please post the written descriptions from before 30.5.?

I think there are some wrongly spelled location names in the translation.

As Julian pauses, I will post a couple of complementary pictures from Donon Waldbahn.

Michelbrunn with aerial railway

5a5e202099b31_MichelbrunnWaldbahnStationStadtarchivKarlsruhe.jpg.3760f97b506b952eb915e3d2ecfb50ae.jpg

Source: Stadtarchiv Karlsruhe

All following pictures are from Dononbahn between stations Schirmeck-Michelbrunn-Donon

Schirmeck is the starting point in the valley. Here is the narrow gauge station with Landwehr-Feldlazarett 31 in background

5a5e2407788dd_SchirmeckBlicknachdemLandwehr-Feldlazarett31.jpg.351c3665a7b24bc97bb15e57e68c4be6.jpg

Dononbahn - Railway siding towards the Donon mountain front line 

5a5f1b7b7582a_WaldbahnzudenStellungen.jpg.af4120013e87e411883c7d4fe54ba807.jpg

A section protected against aerial views and entrenched

Grabenbahn.png.915201e331a6643430b635dc2d36d25d.png

Source: Drehscheibe online

Edited by egbert

On 1/15/2018 at 03:19, stevebecker said:

... I had a check of the known Railway officers I have on my DB but can no officers sent to Germany so far ... I did find two possible officers

Assim Efendi    Railway officer Palestine    Lt        in book by German pilot Henkel 
Suleyman Bey    Commander of Railway Station at Taif    Maj        Hicaz

But can find no dates if they were sent to Germany for cross training?

Thanks Steve.

On 1/16/2018 at 12:23, egbert said:

Julian, would you please post the written descriptions from before 30.5.?

I think there are some wrongly spelled location names in the translation.

Apologies for absence Egbert - work matters to deal with (students with fail grades mainly!)...

You mean these? I have no doubt that I have probably made a mistake in my transcription - never mind my translation!

Julian 

album 05A.jpg

album 05B.jpg

album 05C.jpg

album 05D.jpg

On 1/15/2018 at 11:29, egbert said:

Great pictures.

Sorry could not resist -this aerial picture from km 10,4 summer 1916

anl.jpg.30d58409e0b4af5cff3fe583e2294436.jpg.fa3ef0e0bd42a2bb4245e02f5f1aafcc.jpg

On 1/16/2018 at 18:54, egbert said:

As Julian pauses, I will post a couple of complementary pictures from Donon Waldbahn.

Michelbrunn with aerial railway

5a5e202099b31_MichelbrunnWaldbahnStationStadtarchivKarlsruhe.jpg.3760f97b506b952eb915e3d2ecfb50ae.jpg

Wow! These and the others are really superb and illuminating photographs I see that at least one of these is yours and the others in Karsruhe - a superb find!

I plan to get back to the album tomorrow, but Saturday latest. Again, apologies for my absence - and do of course feel free to ask anything!

Julian

Egbert, your input here is already and will be even more so invaluable!

My scanner won't quite take the entire pages so a mixture of photographs and scans hereon. Please let me know if more detail is needed and I'll re-scan or whatever!

Last entry from the album - page 02 verso was in post 25. Fom now on I'll simply do page number, recto or verso, and page photograph sub-number sorry if that is confusing but I have never tried to discuss/report anything like this before! So, this is first of all 03 R 00 - page 03 recto general view... 

03 R 00.jpg

Now to details - 03 R a, b and c.

03 R A.jpg

03 R B.jpg

03 R C.jpg

So, that done, here is page 3 verso. 03 V 00, a, b, and c

03 V 00.jpg

03 V A.jpg

03 V B.jpg

03 V C.jpg

Now to page 04, 04 R 00, a, b c.

04 R 00.jpg

04 R A.jpg

04 R B.jpg

04 R C.jpg

So to page 04 verso - 04 V 00, a and b...

04 V 00.jpg

04 V A.jpg

04 V C.jpg

Now, as luck would have it, I visited the same dealer today who then produced three stacks of photographs with an eerily familiar handwriting, as above, and some of them clearly album related...

The clearly related ones show a view with a mountain similar to - as I recall - what there is in post 26 a above. Others in the same pile look related with scenery and locomotives. Most in that pile were stamped "Reserve Eisenbahn Komp. Nr.16"...

Some of those in the other two piles (a few showing ammunition waggons and railitracks destroyed by bombing or shelling) were marked for "Bay.Eisenbahn Betriebs Komp. 4", with locations given at - to name two - VILOSNES and BRIEULLES.

The dealer claimed they came from the same source as the album - which was compiled by or on behalf of the Commander of "Kodeis B", "Eisenbahntruppen i.B.d.Armee=Abteilung B" - and also, later,he  showed me some epaulettes that - to me - looked as if they might be WW1 and for a major... The letter in the album is addressed to a major... So, need help please, what do Eisenbahntruppe Major epaulettes look like! Yes, it is only at times like this I curse the fact I still have an old Nokiea that makes and receives calls and messages and not much else...:unsure:

Julian

15 hours ago, trajan said:

... he  showed me some epaulettes that - to me - looked as if they might be WW1 and for a major... The letter in the album is addressed to a major... So, need help please, what do Eisenbahntruppe Major epaulettes look like!

Well, of course the "Major" the album's letter was addressed does not have to be Eisenbahn and a quick Google this morning brought me a close match from memory of the ones I saw - these below being reproduced  from http://www.kammerbulle.de/html/schulterstucke.html for reference. The ones I saw had that black thread running through them but were backed with a fawn / beige coloured fabric, not red, and they had a metal slider to fasten them to a uniform - does that sound right?  

LtMjSchSt.jpg

I double-checked with the dealer re: the epaulettes and received an evasive answer as to any potential relationship with the Album... So, back to that album!

Here is page 05 recto - the page photographed to show layout, with scans of the the photographs themselves. I am hoping that my university has a better scanner - A3 with a higher ppixel count - and if so I'll do the full pages at least plus all maps on that.

05 R 00.jpg

05 R 00A.jpg

05 R 00B.jpg

And here 05 verso - again photogarph of the page, scans of the photographs.

05 V 00.jpg

05 V 00A.jpg

05 V 00B.jpg

Onto 06 recto... Fun stuff here!

06 R 00.jpg

06 R 00A.jpg

06 R 00B.jpg