Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BlackWatch

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone's holiday season is going well. I've posted this elsewhere before but I thought I would share my WWI Full Dress scarlet doublet to the 50th Gordon Highlanders of Canada. 

The doublet is in overall good condition considering it's age, but has had a long service life and looks well used. The doublet sports a total of 28 Regimental buttons, 27 of which are 50th Gordon Highlanders of Canada buttons, and one 16th Canadian Scottish Regimental button that was a period replacement. The 50th buttons were all made in Glasgow. Highland yellow facings, the same as used by the Imperial Gordons are the time. The doublet's collar badges are very nice looking. The badges sport a bear walking over Latin letters, "Buaidh No Bas" - "Conquer or die". To the shoulder epaulets are very nice shoulder badges, "50" over "GORDON". The interior of the Doublet is generally in good shape, but does show some service wear. To inside is stamped "1st C.S." which I can only assume means 1st Canadian Scottish for it's later service. This doublet is circa 1913-20,  but I believe it was one of the original 500 full dress scarlet doublets ordered and made for the regiment in 1913, so it was probably first created just prior to the outbreak of WWI in 1914. It may have been used for full dress purposes during WWI, however I believe it also remained in service into and after the creation of the Canadian Scottish regiment. The markings "1st C.S." as well as the one Canadian Scottish button attests to this, and it is very likely it remained in service well into the 1920s. The 50th Gordon Highlanders were amalgamated with the 88th Victoria Fusiliers in 1920 to form the Canadian Scottish Regiment, which is still in existence today. The 50th also contributed men to the 16th (Canadian Scottish) Battalion, CEF during WWI.  

It should be noted that this Doublet is actually published in a militaria reference book, "Military Antiques and Collectibles of the Great War" by Victor Taboika. It is apparently on page 128 of the book that is showcasing items to the 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish) CEF, though I do not own the book so I haven't confirmed it for myself. The person I bought this from purchased it from Victor some time ago and now it's in my collection. I have yet to obtain a copy of the book so what I said above may be incorrect. 

The doublet is in pretty good shape and displays well for something that probably had a long service life. This doublet is likely quite rare as not many were made originally to begin with, and the regiment only existed between 1913-1920, so quite a rare piece to a local British Columbia Regiment. Overall a very nice doublet. 

Thank you for reading. 

Best regards,

-Jamie 

50thGH1.png

50thGH2.png

50thGH3.png

50thGH4.png

50thGH5.png

50thGH6.png

50thGH7.png

This is quite a nice pickup, Jamie, and certainly rare.  Congratulations!  Any plans to fill out the uniform?  Kilt, sporran, glengarry or feather bonnet?

For your possible interest I have posted a photo of the 50th Regiment on parade in Victoria about 1914.  It is interesting that a few of the men are wearing Wolseley helmets.

Mike

5a401ae970783_50thRegtGHofCanadaVictoriac1914.jpg.3c36949af40c54fa14e26434fb357b8f.jpg

Edited by gordon92

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for the nice comments. I hope to eventually make this into a display, yes, but it'll likely be very hard to obtain headgear, kilt, sporran, etc to this regiment due to being short-lived, maybe I'll get lucky though, and find a glengarry and sporran to this regiment. Did they wear the same tartan kilt as the Imperial Gordons? I may be able to just start out with a kilt and see where my luck brings me with regards to the other items. 

A very nice photo of the 50th Gordons, Mike, thanks for sharing. It is quite interesting that a few of the men are wearing Wolseleys as you said. I wonder if there is a photo out there of the 50th in their scarlet uniforms. 

Anyway many thanks for the nice comment and merry christmas. 

Best regards,

-Jamie

19 hours ago, BlackWatch said:

I wonder if there is a photo out there of the 50th in their scarlet uniforms. 

Jamie.......If you have not already tried the Canadian Scottish Museum in Victoria, I suppose that would be the most likely source for such a photo.  Worth a trip there?  I am guessing that although the distance is not great for you, you probably have to use ferries to get there.

All the best,

Mike

Mike, 

I have not tried there yet as I haven't had the time, but perhaps when I have time in the New Year I shall take a ferry ride over there, not a long distance and a very scenic ride to the island. Many thanks once again for the comment and help. 

Best regards,

-Jamie

1 hour ago, BlackWatch said:

Mike, 

I have not tried there yet as I haven't had the time, but perhaps when I have time in the New Year I shall take a ferry ride over there, not a long distance and a very scenic ride to the island. Many thanks once again for the comment and help. 

Best regards,

-Jamie

Please report what you find when you do get to the Museum.

• 1 month later...

A late reply to this thread, but only just discovered it as part of some sifting of threads I'm doing here on as part of my research into apiece of Highland regiment kit which, by chance, also means I've got my copy of Mr. Taboika's book at hand.  Beautifully photographed pieces. Here's a poor quality cellphone snap of the page of the book in question.

Any further updates?

50th.JPG

19 hours ago, RangeRover said:

A late reply to this thread, but only just discovered it as part of some sifting of threads I'm doing here on as part of my research into apiece of Highland regiment kit which, by chance, also means I've got my copy of Mr. Taboika's book at hand.  Beautifully photographed pieces. Here's a poor quality cellphone snap of the page of the book in question.

Nice image from the Taboika book.  Looks like he placed this uniform in the section on the 16th Battalion CEF (Canadian Scottish).  This is quite appropriate as the 50th Regiment Gordon Highlanders contributed 1 company to the 16th Battn with the others coming from the 72nd Seaforth, 79th Camerons, and 91st Canadian Highlanders.

On 2/25/2018 at 18:30, RangeRover said:

Any further updates?

50th.JPG

Hello Rangerover, 

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I have not had time to do research or put together a display however I will make progress when I get less busy shortly hopefully. Thank you kindly for posting a picture of that page, as I do not yet own a copy I could not confirm that it was in the book. Very well photographed and looks stunning with its other items. Hopefully sometime soon I will be able to make it into a full display. I will do more research and contact the museum in time when I am less busy but will update this thread with any new discoveries. Thank you everyone for your help. 

Best regards,

-Jamie

• 1 year later...

I have in my possession a short off-white wool tunic with stand up collar held closed by two brass hooks and eyes. It also has two large brass hooks along the bottom of the tunic. It sports 9 brass regimental buttons of the 50th Gordon Highlanders—-7  buttons down the front of the tunic (one missing) and one each holding down the braided shoulder epaulets. These buttons were all made by McTaggart & Co. Glasgow. There are no buttons on the lower sleeves and no indication that there ever were any. The jacket is cotton lined having been hand stitched and machine stitched with a machine stitched pocket hand stitched to the inside lower left. Also these stamped letters 1ST C.S. and 6/1 38. Please see all photos. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me, its value, etc. Wondering if it was a band jacket?

B043C800-5BDA-4EB0-8E59-9DFD887D74FD.jpeg

79F05A56-04CA-414C-81DA-CE7739FCDDA1.jpeg

EC0A96AE-4729-4C7D-83AD-D08821EE2329.jpeg

43583648-52BE-46DF-BC99-031F286BF377.jpeg

260EACB6-530C-4BBD-98E2-49BC5A15A8CD.jpeg

DFCD2CA4-5561-4C13-9BA2-B582952E60F6.jpeg

39BD77F6-3E3C-4390-8B23-19DB0386A86E.jpeg

It’s a white “drill jacket” of a type worn only by Highland and Foot Guard regiments (worn as the dress for “drill order”).  A type of undress, it was worn in barracks, for drill and routine duty, but not for the fatigues that could often be dirty jobs.  Nor was it used for Guard.  In the Summer months it was used for walking out of barracks.  Worn since Queens Victoria’s reign, it was phased out of use at the beginning of WW2.

NB.  Canada’s particular preference to emulate British style regiments, with its own Highlander and Guards units led it to emulate the same forms of dress, including white, drill order jackets.  The jackets were originally an off white, cream shade based on the natural colour of untreated wool, but later became more white as production methods improved.  Staff sergeants and warrant officers had twisted gold braid shoulder cords in place of the white ones to mark their superior status.  The Highland officers shoulder cords were thicker still.  Guards officers, however, did not wear white drill jackets at all.  Both Guards and Highlanders carried out public guard duties outside Royal residences and drill order was worn when practising their drill movements and rehearsing ceremonial duties whilst in barracks.

5DF09EAF-4F22-4292-A04C-B58F535B7431.jpeg

B21AA4A2-7ED3-4CAE-80DD-B2741B33D081.jpeg

6D018E17-7CB4-46B9-924E-7D83A21F98F1.jpeg

F44CD079-1FD3-4A52-9F39-FBBE97CE430D.jpeg

8845B952-C47A-4910-B13F-4F4E49178839.jpeg

BB6E70C9-DB95-4575-8A6E-383FB6D5C360.jpeg

805B3394-6EFF-410F-AF7C-BD3DA3E039E2.png

Edited by FROGSMILE