Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fighting along the Nahr el Auja 21/22 Dec 1917

stevenbecker

Mates,

To continue these battles in Palestine I was looking for details on the  attack on Bald Hill (point 265) during the night 21/22 Dec 1917.

I must have missed this action in the two official Histories (Australian Vol VII and Falls E&P part 1)  which pass over this action?

I am still to confirm what British Bn took part in the attack as Australians say the Londoners support the British attack by the 162nd Bde 54th Div, which could only mean the 1/10 or 1/11 Bn London Regt?

Can you find any details on this attack on Bald Hill by the 162nd Bde British and 1st LH Bde units that night?

Cheers

S.B

Hi Mate

just a couple of snippets from the WD of the 8th Hants which notes that the artillery barrage started at 24:00 on the 21st , with the news coming through from Brigade that 162 had captured Yafa Hill by 01:16 and Bald Hill by 02:35.

The 8th apparently were conducting operations on Round Hill at the same time, but without the benefit of artillery preparation, if possible they were to push patrols into Rantieh and confirm that it was unoccupied and prevent its reoccupation.

Mate,

Yes these attacks were to push the line to Mulebbis and beyond as part the Nahr el Auja attacks. But I could not find details on the attack around Bald Hill only the later attacks?

Cheers

S.B

8 hours ago, stevebecker said:

I am still to confirm what British Bn took part in the attack as Australians say the Londoners support the British attack by the 162nd Bde 54th Div, which could only mean the 1/10 or 1/11 Bn London Regt?

Per 'The Advance of the Egyptian Exp.............etc'  it was the 1/11th London 

8 hours ago, stevebecker said:

I must have missed this action in the two official Histories (Australian Vol VII and Falls E&P part 1)  which pass over this action?

The British OH has it on page 274/5

Hi

It was the 1/11th Londons (Finsbury Rifles) -  L/Cpl John Christie got the VC in this action.

There is a good account of the LH's role in Blackwell's 'The 3rd Light Horse Regiment.'

Cheers

Stuart