Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

180th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

womo

Hi guys, Im researching a chap from the 180th Brigade and was hoping to see if maybe the war diaries helped with any info.

My chap, L/40039 Cpl/Sjt Archibald Frederick Emery Becker.

He was gazetted for his MM 17/9/1917 so was hoping someone maybe able to help with the diary in the hope there mention of him.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Womo

Hello Womo

This is the reference for the brigade's War Diary:

WO 95/1963 180 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1916 Feb. - 1919 June  

It can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are sometimes two or more downloads for each file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day. You may well find a reference to Sgt Becker's MM, probably on a date about three months earlier than the entry in the London Gazette.

Good luck!

Ron

You could try this one:

16 DIVISION

WO 95/1959 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery 1917 Jan. - 1918 Dec.  

Ron

Womo, Ron,

The CRA diary is also missing July to September 1917 rather frustratingly.  I presume these were removed by one of the Official Historians to write on aspects of the Artillery preparations for one of the Ypres phases and they were misplaced or removed.  The Divisional Ammunition Column war diary survives but not the 177th Bde RFA.  The 16 Division Admin war diary does not mention awards though a few such diaries do.

I would presume the MM would either be an immediate award for the 16 August 1917 operations or potentially be delayed from 7 June 1917.

Regards

Colin

Colin,

that's interesting.  Is there a pattern here? 

The diaries for 11 CRA are also missing from July - September 17 which is when they were in the Ypres salient.  The diaries of some of their artillery brigades are also missing for that time: 58th FA Bde's diaries are missing from July - September, and 59th FA Bde's diaries are missing from July - August.

I wonder if the diaries of other artillery units serving in that area are also missing?

David.

On 19/12/2017 at 17:42, Ron Clifton said:

You could try this one:

16 DIVISION

WO 95/1959 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery 1917 Jan. - 1918 Dec.  

Ron

Hi Ron, I don't think this is available to download.

Thanks

Womo

Hello Womo

It should be, but as Colin has pointed out, it won't help you very much, so I shouldn't bother.

David26

It is possible that some of the artillery diaries went missing when the Official Historian and his team were working on "1917 Volume II", which was not published until after WW2. It has been criticised as one of the weakest volumes, and it is particularly weak on covering artillery matters. There was a dispute between Sir James Edmonds, the main editor of the OH series, and Captain Miles, who drafted that volume, which might also be partly responsible for the absence of the diaries.

Ron

Thanks Ron - that's interesting.  I had started to wonder if there had been some incident in late 1917 which might have caused the losses of the records (an explosion or fire or something).  Your suggestion sounds much more believable.

David.