Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Davies kings own Lancashire regiment

Lewis Sullivan

I was wandering if any one could provide me with some insight into what my 3rd great uncle did during the war.

He was part of the kings own royal Lancashire regiment

Harold Davies number 97400

However, it seems like he wasn't posted untill the very last few months of the war from the records I can find. He attested in 1916 at age 18.

I'm not very adept yet at working out what these records state so any help than can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Lew.

Screenshot_20171217-133440.png

Screenshot_20171217-133435.png

Edited by Lewis Sullivan

Lewis

I do not think that he served in France until after the Armistice, if at all. I can not find him on the Medal Rolls. One document in his service record mentions France 1919. It seems that on 10/05/1918 he was posted as 47952 to the 4th Monmouthshire Regt. (I can not find this on TLLT but this Unit was based in Norfolk according to wiki). On 30/09/1918 he was posted to 23 Royal Welch Fusiliers, possibly as 97400. In 1919 he was transferred to POW Companies and Protection Companies of the RDF and, according to a document in his service record, transferred in error to the Kings Own (Royal Lancaster) as 51259 in 1919.

Brian

Brian ,

what are "pow companies "? 

Its not a term I'm familiar with. 

Simon

Simon

TLLT, under Royal Defence Corps, records that "In April 1918 some 27,000 men were serving in the Royal Defence Corps, of these, 14,000 were employed at Prisoner of War Camps".

Brian

Thanks Brian

Thanks Brian. Seems strange to me though that his brothers all served overseas so I wonder why he never went over being as he signed up in enough time.

Thanks Lew.