Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A medallic conundrum waiting for GWF wallahs

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

Tom Gaskell (born 1870) had seven siblings: two of these were younger brothers, Reginald Williamson Gaskell (born 1880), and Herbert Stuart Gaskell (born 1882).

R. W. Gaskell was a Lt-Col., Indian Army, but the star turn was Herbert, Royal Engineers, who had a Mention in Despatches, a DSO (1916) and a Bar to his DSO (1920), probably for Kurdistan and Iraq. He became a Maj-Gen and, following retirement, was Engineer-in-Chief, HQ Staff of the Army in India, and knighted in 1937 (KCB, Civil Division). The National Portrait Gallery holds a fine 1936 portrait of an Englishman - the Gaskells were actually Scottish - of the type which one does not see anymore...

Fortunately, if anyone has access to an un-named Officer Group of 27th Madras Infantry, 89th Punjabis, or 91st Punjabis, it should be fairly easy to match up a family likeness, to finally find an Image of Thomas Kershaw Gaskell...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.mw221560.jpg.d94e7af20b2430f70e0e6230171cfc12.jpg

20 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I must admit that I am unclear who had to pay 1500 Pounds damages: he or she?

He.

"The jury found for plaintiff, and assessed damages at £1,500".

The plaintiff is the person who brings a case (ie who makes a complaint), in court - in this instance, Ricketts,  against the defendant (ie - the person who has to defend his actions) - in this instance- Gaskell.

The jury found for plaintiff = The jury found in favour of Ricketts and ordered Gaskell to pay her £1,500 in damages.

Dear Dai,

Surely a huge amount of money in 1903...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I am slightly unclear as to whether he had to pay much in the end. Need to find the resumption of this hearing:

Evening Standard 12/2/04      Market Value of a Husband       5a36ce4182b3d_GaskellTKmarketvalue.JPG.8a3e5cb14f5370bb4280194fc0ec9e57.JPG

edit heard in AppealCourt 29/4/04 but I haven't seen a write-up

5a36d021aae4d_GaskellTKAppealCourt29Apr1904.JPG.5ed07aed44759368155213112162f7c8.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Dear Charlie,

Once again, many thanks for putting the affair into perspective.

By the sound of it, it appears that Gaskell agreed a la longue to 100 Pounds (still a large amount in 1904)...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Dai,

Surely a huge amount of money in 1903...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Yes, I think people generally multiply figures from that era 100 fold to give a modern day equivalent.

And he mentions that his annual pay was £300, so 5 years' earnings.

But as we subsequently find, his bankrupcy was settled in the end for £100.

I doubt if Miss Ricketts got much (if any) of that.

Dear Dai,

I agree. Thanks for the 100-fold guidline: much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 17/12/2017 at 23:44, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Dai,

I agree. Thanks for the 100-fold guidline: much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

It's a ball park figure Kim, and of course, income inflation isn't  always the same as price inflation, but this online calculator is useful for seeing what today's money  would have been worth then & vice versa:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

Apropos T. K. Gaskell's contemporarily engraved Delhi Durbar 1911 medal:-

I have just been informed that the Durbar 1911 Roll which is missing, was the one for the Civil Service, Civilians, and those awarded the medal in a non-military capacity.

The very useful Peter Ducker Durbar Rolls I have, are in booklet-form (2004):

Part 2:  IA Officers and ORs; Part 3: Indian Vols. I am unsure what Part 1 consisted of, unfortunately.

Certainly, Tom Gaskell's younger brother (R. W. Gaskell, 9 Bhopal Inf.), appears in Part 2, which might seem unhelpful. On the other hand, one would hardly imagine the older brother putting up a spurious medal, vis-a-vis his younger sibling, who had the self-same award...!

The existing Durbar 1911 Rolls are at TNA, Kew (WO/100/400), incidentally.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

• 1 month later...

Hi Kim,

The Part 1 of the Duckers DD 1911 roll was of the awards to the British Army, officers and men.

It was originally printed by Squirrel Publications in the 1990's.

Regards,

Matthew 

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

This is what Thomas Kershaw Gaskell looked like in December 1911, in Burma.

With sincere 5abe6cc522db3_MajorThomasKershawGaskellDec1911.jpg.928bee2915c5bf42191a8e8c70a428e3.jpgthanks to the National Army Museum.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 4 years later...

I realise that this is an old thread from my long-standing friend Kim Lindsay, but I came across the following reference to Gaskell that may be of interest.

https://www2.calmview.co.uk/HUBCAT/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=IRC%2F7%2F5%2F264

According to this reference, "The Scotsman" newspaper of 9th June 1916 carried a "Scottish Command Order" to the effect that Major T. K. Gaskell of the 91st Punjabis was appointed to the position of Commandant of the Stobs POW Camp in Scotland.

Unfortunately my various subscriptions don't cover this particular edition of "The Scotsman." Does anyone have access? Where might we see "Scottish Command Orders?"

A reference here http://www.stobsiade.org/introduction/lifeInTheCamp.html shows the Commander of the Camp between 1914 to November 1917 to be Lt. Col. H.J. Bowman (and despite Bonham's saying he died in 1915 he was still at Stobs in 1917 - http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/history/intrn_ww1/intrnees/ah_rcvry.htm!). Perhaps Gaskell's appointment was a temporary one?

Incidentally Gaskell's Indian Army Medal Card at TNA London clearly shows his only entitlement was to the BWM. Not only was he a cad and a bounder, but he misrepresented his service in the First World War.