Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service records explanation

Lewis Sullivan

It might help members if you tell us which “bits” you don’t understand.

You may get some help by looking on Long Long Trail site.

Steve

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/interpreting-great-war-army-service-records-general-advice/

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/

Edited by tullybrone

In short, it gives his enlistment date, his embarkation and disembarkation dates, his movements from D Battery 119th Bde RFA, 38th Divisional Ammunition Column, then 121 Bde RFA, he then must have been wounded or became sick as it shows admissions to a couple of Casualty Clearing Stations, a General Hospital and the Royal Artillery Command Depot at Ripon? interspersed with leave, granting of proficiency pay and transfer to a Res RFA Bde

And then his transfer to the rerserve with the reason for discharge Para 392 (XXVA) KR.....I can make out most of the reason less the word between what appears to be..." Discharged Surplus to military requirements (not having suffered ?????? "Service or since"? entry into the service").

Andy

Lewis

His illness in May 1918 was PUO (pyrexia of unknown origin). This was a common fever and has been discussed a few times such as in the topic below which may be of interest.

Neil

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at the 38th welsh divison artillery bdes  movement's on the long trail...some impressive action. Would Thomas have been involved in any of this action or is driver a non  combatant role. This may explain his potential injuries.

My grandads brother lived with Thomas for 12 years when he was a boy and states he remembers Thomas saying he was gassed. However I can't find any record of this.

Thanks again

Hello Lewis

Driver in the RFA was definitely not a non-combatant role. The guns and ammunition wagons were all horse-drawn, and would be within range of enemy artillery, even if the horse teams were withdrawn to relatively safe positions once the guns were in place.

At the Battle of le Cateau in August 1914, Drivers Luke and Drain won the Victoria Cross for bringing guns out of action under enemy shell fire.

Ron