Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Sullivan

Hi all, i am new to the forum so excuse the lack of knowledge on how this all works. I have been trying to find out my great great great grandfathers regiment for some time now but i simply am unable to. No one on this side of the family knows anything about him other than this picture we have of him and his name. I believe his full name to be John baker but as you probably know that simply is not enough to make any progress. I was wandering if anyone on here has any ideas of what regiment this maybe. i have tried to look for service records but i cant really find anything that matches up. I have also tried to identify cap badges that look similar but due to a lack of knowledge on specifics i cant match anything up. I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Kindest regards Lewis.

23434717_1625544084134119_1751673249674945827_n.jpg

Lewis might be better if you can blow up the cap badge as it’s not very clear

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the men are wearing spurs and carrying riding crops, sometimes these were studio props but as it was taken outside unlikely so they were probably drivers. Only one medal ribbon and apparently no overseas or wound stripes. 

What was his peacetime occupation date of birth etc, if you post all you know about him it may help.  Where did he live? Did he have any other initials? Did he survive the war? etc

I suspect the Army Service Corps but there are still quite lot of 'John Bakers", it could also be the Transport Section of the Battalion.   They ASC gave most of their men a prefix which if we knew he was, for example a Carter or a groom might help.  It doesn't look like an artillery badge but could be RE as suggested you should be able to do a larger scan of the cap badges, as the original been cropped?  The number of men in the photo may offer clues.

Have you looked at the parent site the long long trail (link top right) for researching a soldier?

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I really don't know much about him. I know he was born in Birmingham and I believe he was a Carter in peacetime. He also survived the war to my knowledge.

The original photo is not in my possession and I'm not sure who actually has it. My nan gave a laminated already cropped version some years back which is the image posted, but she had no idea who had the original.

I originally thought Labour corps however I was unsure. I also suspected some form of cavalry due to the spurs but thats just me being a novice I suspect 😂.

I shall try and blow up the image to get more clarity.

Kind regards Lew.

Edited by Lewis Sullivan

Lew

Did he marry or have kids during or just after the end of the War? if so his unit maybe on the certificate.

Sam

Hi, Sam i am almost positive all his children were born after the war. The problem i have is no one knows anything about him so i have limited information.

Hello Lewis, with the implications caused by his common name, may I suggest, you take the family history back through your gran until you can pinpoint him in the 1911 Census, this way you will be able to get his age and pinpoint him in Birmingham also get a marriage cert which if he is still in service may tell you which unit he is in, if you dont have access to Ancestry you can get it free at your local Library, as at the moment only a miracle will find him.

Den 

Looks like Ally Sloper's Cavalry....a zoom in on the cap badge would help but I think it is a bunch of ASC men, rather than regimental transport?

• Admin
54 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

Looks like Ally Sloper's Cavalry....a zoom in on the cap badge would help but I think it is a bunch of ASC men, rather than regimental transport?

I’d agree but thought I’d get my retaliation in first.  It would be really helpful if we had a middle name, that would edit the list.

Ken

One potential, Birmingham born and bred, R4/088014 John Baker (Remounts) ASC, on the 1911 Census he is a Coal Carter, born 1875 (so may be too old, but the x marking the spot he does look like an older soldier), his son John Frederick appears on the 1911 census?

Wife Eliza, other Children Louisa, Thomas, Elsie, Cyril

Edit this man potentially died in 1919.

Andy

Screenshot_20171211-143820.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hi guys, thank you ever so much for the help. That looks like a good fit @HolymoleyRE I am currently looking at census records on ancestry.com to see what info about him I can find. I do believe his wife was called Eliza.

And does this mean his son was to in the war ?

Edited by Lewis Sullivan

Yes John Frederick Baker served overseas in Royal Engineers in 6 Fd Sqd Royal Engineers....Good man!

The numbers are little clearer here..

Screenshot_20171211-215238.jpg

Thanks @HolymoleyRE you're knowledge is greatly appreciated. One quick question I have for you is that all those listed as 5 does that mean they are at the same address and thus possibly all related ?

It is only the top 3 that were im the same house?  Was Frederick a brother of John?

Edited by HolymoleyRE

i honestly have no idea, up until now i didn't know these people existed. I have tried to look for Fredrick service records but cannot find them.

Thought I had struck lucky, 15984 Frederick Baker (your man), only appears to have the usual MIC and Medal Rolls, in the same Btn is 15844 Frederick James Baker, who has service records....but from Berks!

It is a bit of along shot, but there is 1881 Census record which has a John and Frederick as Brothers..but without knowing any other relatives that's all it is.

i have found this info relating to  the unit ofJohn frederick bakers 6th fld sqdn Re

6th Fld Sqdn,R.E. was formed at El Maraqeb between the the 1st and 22nd Feb 1917 and as mentioned serving with the Yeomanry Mounted Division.

On the 24/4/1918 it became part of the 1st Mounted Division, which was formed from the Yeomanry Mounted Division. The 1st Mounted Division was renamed 4th Cavalry Division on 22/7/1918 and on 4/9/1918 6th Fld Sqdn,R.E. was renamed 4th Fld Sqdn,R.E.

does this mean he was in a cavalry unit.

Not Cavalry as such, but would undoubtedly used horses to move equipment round...

6 Sqn are still in existance today, the Headquarters Squadron of 22 Engineer Regiment based in Tidworth.

And I served in the 4th Field Squadron in Germany in the 90s!

Edited by HolymoleyRE

I can't thank you enough for the assistance you have provided me with.

I can't find any official info on the 6th so i was just guessing Aha.

• 3 weeks later...

@HolymoleyRE 

Hi just a quick question. I cannot find any service, pension or medal records for my ggg grandfather John Baker at all. Is there any other sources I could look at to maybe find some sort of records.

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Lew

11 hours ago, Lewis Sullivan said:

John Baker

Hi Lew, cheers, yep Xmas all done and looking forward to next year already!🤔

Are we talking the ASC Remounts man?

Andy

Will take a look, but fairly sure John had nothing, indicating home service only, and the others were just Medal Info.

You may wish to start a post for each man, stating what you know already and make sure to link it to this thread.

Regards

Andy.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

• Admin

There is information on the Army Remount Service on the LLT

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/the-army-service-corps-remounts-service/

You will see it’s quite possible John Baker remained in the UK at one of the depots and, as we know survived the war.  Such men are very difficult to research if there are no surviving service/pension records as no medals,  no casualty details etc.

Ken