Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dig Hill 80: Help Me Fund Excavation of a WW1 German Fortification!

Hi there, I'm part of an international team that's crowdfunding to excavate a WW1 strongpoint in Flanders in 2018. We are so far 50% funded with over 1200 backers. We'd love to have your support too and make this campaign a big success.

Watch the video to find out more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ix1BfvCfd8

Help fund it here: http://dighill80.com

For more details: http://hill80.com

Edited by Guest

This should probably be in "charitable appeals",  but that is trivial. This is a chance to explore an important site before the bulldozers move in and it is lost for ever.  The appeal for funds is time limited, and comes to an end in a very few days. If the target is not met then no pledges will be called upon and the project will not happen - that is the way these crowdfunding schemes work.  I think it makes sense to support this project and have made a personal pledge of support.

I do hope that more GWF friends will feel inclined to do the same, time is running out.

Keith

(A strictly personal post).

I have also offered a few bob to the cause, it looks to be a proper archaeological investigation, and worth supporting.

I would love to help but the Turkish lira has REALLY plummented - plus 13% inflation and that seasonal event coming up...

I am very tempted to pledge for "Days in the field" for the experience and it is a good cause...But it does seem like a lot of money to push wheelbarrows about, that I'm not sure I can justify.

I think I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days or so.

Sajackr

50 minutes ago, sajackr said:

..But it does seem like a lot of money to push wheelbarrows about, that I'm not sure I can justify.

Sajackr

It's fair enough that anyone being asked to contribute should be able to see details of where the funding is going. Perhaps Dan Morelle can help us with that or point us to where we might be able to find the information.

Mike

To be fair they were very prompt with their reply when I contact the site last night.

"Basic accommodation Hostel/On site, breakfast & lunch" but at over £150 per night could get a nice hotel in Ieper!!

Sajackr

Well, the target has been met.

€143,668 pledged of €140,000.

Edited by wandererpaul

Oh, good-oh! I was feeling a bit guilty that I really couldn't help... I get paid in TRY at Turkish university rates, and with it being 1 GBP = 4.585 TRY back in June, and 1 GBP = 5.1471 TRY now, 6 months later, well...

It was really good news this morning to see that the project is now fully funded. I hope that we will have a few updates when things are under way. Not all our members use social media, so an occasional link to progress would be very welcome.

Keith

Opportunity to good to miss so could not resist in the end.

The well known phrase "You can't take it with you" springs to mind.

Sajackr

On 14/12/2017 at 14:36, sajackr said:

Opportunity to good to miss so could not resist in the end.

The well known phrase "You can't take it with you" springs to mind.

Sajackr

You are only here once springs to mind. Pledged the €50 last night. The event in London to report the findings seems worth paying for. Hopefully will be able to attend! 

Stuart