Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps War Diaries

Wiltshire

Thank you very much. If this suggestion were carried out, it would seem that there would be no need for a new cap badge except for the 4th battalion.

Very strange.

Edited by Muerrisch

On 03/10/2018 at 16:23, Marilyn Beale said:

I Googled the second photo on Image search and came up with another identical photo of another soldier, which must have been taken a the same time and same place - which was Knightsbridge barracks on 13th September 1915. that soldier was named and was for sale on the Museum of London web page. I emails the Museum and their archivist very kindly did a search for our soldier. She couldn't find him. But the photo was taken by Christina Broom (Mrs. Albert Broom). No name yet though.  The search goes on. 

I’ve got digital copies of all of the photos somewhere with names if you let me know which one?

On 28/09/2018 at 09:55, Marilyn Beale said:

A cousin has sent another photo, I'm not entirely sure its the same man, but a remarkable co-incidence if it's not.  You opinion would be welcome.

Another soldier Guards. .jpg

Trooper Cecil Mills 3451 “C” Squadron 1st Life Guards, Knightsbridge Barracks 1915.

Surely these are standard MGC collars ..... not GMGR?.

There seems no proof that these men were in the GMGR at the time of photography.

If the HC did not wear GMGR cap badges after amalgamation, only the small Foot Guards element would have worn that badge. There do seem to be a lot of genuine versions extant, with photos in wear to match

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

Surely these are standard MGC collars ..... not GMGR?.

There seems no proof that these men were in the GMGR at the time of photography.

If the HC did not wear GMGR cap badges after amalgamation, only the small Foot Guards element would have worn that badge. There do seem to be a lot of genuine versions extant, with photos in wear to match

As per my previous post they are collar badges authorised for GMGR, but as you correctly state I can’t see any difference between those collar dogs and the ones for MG regiments.

Not sure about the Foot Guards, but as a Household Cavalryman I’m certain that we didn’t wear the cap badge.

Do we know the period covered by Mrs Broom's albums? Pictures I have seen online look early war. My grandfather Robert Laing enlisted 2LG in 1918. Regards, Paul.

Edited by Wardog

9 hours ago, Wardog said:

Do we know the period covered by Mrs Broom's albums? Pictures I have seen online look early war. My grandfather Robert Laing enlisted 2LG in 1918. Regards, Paul.

The majority that I’ve seen cover 1914, but still quite a few covering later years. 

Hello Brian. I have posted images of Robert Laing 2LG before on the forum. If you should ever come across any images you think might be him I would be most interested. Served about last 6 months of the war in the UK then a couple of years after. Regards, Paul.