Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool scotish

Rooney Bootle

Any information on a Lance Corpral Walter Thomas Dean, Liverpool Scotish. please.  Possibly 1st Batallion.

Edited by Rooney Bootle
Wrong name

Hi

Service Number:34442

Service From Date:10/12/1915

Service To Date:13/08/1917

Silver War Badge Number:138,810

Primary Unit:King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Secondary Unit:3rd Battalion

regards

Jon

Hi,

Unfortunately, I didn't see any service papers for Walter. His medal roll record indicates that his overseas service was with the 1st Battalion. His Silver War Badge record shows that he was discharged from the 3rd Bn as a consequence of being 'no longer physically fit for war service'. The 3rd Bn was a home service/reserve battalion - see here. My guess would be that Walter was wounded, or fell ill, with the 1st Bn and that he was evacuated back to the UK. So that the 1st Battalion could potentially claim a reinforcement/replacement he was taken off their establishment list, and transferred (perhaps even notionally whilst recovering) to the 3rd Battalion, pending an assessment of his ability to return to full, or reduced, service. 

The Devereux Database has a hit in the online index. I wonder what records might be linked to the index. It might be worth contacting the Museum of Liverpool.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

Searching the Devereux Database use his surname, and the service number 034442

Edited by clk

On 12/8/2017 at 21:44, jonbem said:

Hi

Service Number:34442

Service From Date:10/12/1915

Service To Date:13/08/1917

Silver War Badge Number:138,810

Primary Unit:King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Secondary Unit:3rd Battalion

regards

Jon

There is no evidence that this man served in the Liverpool Scottish.

He was discharged from the Depot, which suggests a non-Territorial enlistment.

Had he enlisted into the Liverpool Scottish, he would have had a 4-digit service number in 1915, changing to a 6-digit number in early 1917

The number #34442 certainly supports a non-territorial enlistment as Ken mentions above.

#34417 was allocated on 13 June 16 so it looks like #34442 had enlisted under the Derby Scheme but was not called up until  mid-late June 1916.

Craig

On 13/12/2017 at 21:28, Ken Lees said:

There is no evidence that this man served in the Liverpool Scottish.

He was discharged from the Depot, which suggests a non-Territorial enlistment.

Had he enlisted into the Liverpool Scottish, he would have had a 4-digit service number in 1915, changing to a 6-digit number in early 1917

I don't mind being proved wrong as it all helps to further the knowledge. It also reminds me to put " a suggestion is" or "potentially" or something similar on such of my replies

thanks

Jon

On 12/19/2017 at 16:21, jonbem said:

I don't mind being proved wrong as it all helps to further the knowledge. It also reminds me to put " a suggestion is" or "potentially" or something similar on such of my replies

thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

My intention wasn't to contradict you, as your information was correct, just to add a comment regarding the Liverpool Scottish suggestion by the OP.