Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

.22 Short Rifle Mk1.

Toby Brayley

.22 Short Rifle Mk1.

I hope this will be of interest to members, an usual gap in the Enfield family and a total hybrid of MLM and SMLE Mk1/111

A rather unusual piece. First approved in December 1907 these .22 calibre training rifles were a bizarre conversion of a Mk1* Magazined Lee Metford (the 8rnd single stack magazine version) to try and achieve the look and feel of the new SMLE Mk111.

Although the wood work and trigger group are still essentially from the MLM it has undergone some extensive changes. It has been shorted by around 2.5 inches , a .22 barrel added along with a new unique .22 nose cap, barrel band (similar to the early MLM with both sling swivel and piling swivel) and front sight protector, all .22 stamped).

Also added are SMLE MK111 rear sights (with windage adjustment) and a rare SMLE MK1 rear hand-guard with built in sight protector. The bolt is heavily modified with dust cover removed and a .22 bolt head added, the keen eyed will spot the gas vents are considerably larger than on the MLM, MLE family. The magazine and cut off have been removed. Of interest is the quality of the conversion, the long range "volley" dial sights have been removed and refilled to a high quality finish.Nearly all the components new and old are over-stamped .22.

Originally an 1890 dated Mk1* MLM it was converted in 1908.

Left side.jpg

right side.jpg

Mk111 sights.jpg

MLM MK1.jpg

nose.jpg

Short 22 T.jpg

SMLE Mk1 rear sight protector.jpg

VOlley Sight removal.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

What a fascinating piece and an amazing survival!:o You'll have 4G breathing down your neck soon! :ph34r:

Very nice indeed!:o

I have a couple of these early .22 conversions but I think mine are MkII (and not in as nice condition as this.) If I recall correctly mine are Naval marked (N) stamped below where the safety would be - I can see a stamping on yours - it is an N?

I'll post pics for comparison later!

Chris

Here for comparison - far less well photographed (my lightbox has been loaned out!) and in not such great condition,  are my two .22 Short rifle MkII rifles.

First was converted in 1912 from an 1894 MLM MkII. Naval N stamp is also visible on the left side of the action. Whilst the volley sight peep has been removed the front disk and pointer remain in situ.  The magazine is an empty shell which serves to collect the spent .22 brass.

DSC_3388.jpg.1a8b06a76d3556a0c88dcb3fa7ebdfa8.jpg

DSC_3393.jpg.6d92b7e6fafa86b5df5262b09cdd5b57.jpg

DSC_3399.jpg.faf148104f03f625dbfa683c5fe2c99d.jpg

DSC_3397.jpg.93b2d77ef5d62c43f7c4149f4ee83675.jpg

Second is converted from LSA Co LE1* (Naval stamp is also present on both sides) - handguard is missing from this rifle. I am a little confused by this rifle as there is no conversion date by the  Sht .22 II designation but there appears to be an 1896 inspection/reissue stamp higher on the left of the receiver which suggests that LSA may have converted the rifle to LE 1* format from an earlier style in 1901.

DSC_3404.jpg.5c1a624b0d8909ba1c33c93330c23540.jpg

DSC_3406.jpg.9e6870dba4c99600a5db9a5817febec5.jpg

DSC_3412.jpg.deb83c4f227d6afd930868baa461c975.jpgDSC_3409.jpg.0339bcc63e6ec423519e115a1ec36d77.jpg

Chris

That is lovely ! Thank you for sharing. I notice how the rear volley sight and safety has been filled in much more professional than on mine, is that an original modification ? 

I can count the number of these I have seen on one hand. 

Toby 

Edited by Toby Brayley

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

That is lovely ! Thank you for sharing. I notice how the rear volley sight and safety has been filled in much more professional than on mine, is that an original modification ? 

I can count the number of these I have seen on one hand. 

Toby 

I believe it is original, yes - but after this length of time it's hard to be certain.

I think many of these slightly later conversions may have been done by the Navy Ordnance Depot.

Free1954

I have shot both of mine but I do not shoot them with any regularity, I have a NZ cadet conversion and a .22 SMLE conversion which I shoot more regularly.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
typo

On 08/12/2017 at 23:18, 4thGordons said:

First was converted in 1912 from an 1894 MLM MkII. Naval N stamp is also visible on the left side of the action. Whilst the volley sight peep has been removed the front disk and pointer remain in situ.  The magazine is an empty shell which serves to collect the spent .22 brass.

DSC_3388.jpg.1a8b06a76d3556a0c88dcb3fa7ebdfa8.jpg

Second is converted from LSA Co LE1* (Naval stamp is also present on both sides) 

Chris

Was this perhaps a conversion specifically for Naval use ? Further evidence here in this photo of a young HMQ at rifle practice aboard HMS Vanguard. 

Pete

photo courtesy : The Times

IMG_4584.PNG.73cf17aac837f7ca7e3e1b584ad9166b.PNG

Edited by Pete_C

5 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

Chris

Was this perhaps a conversion specifically for Naval use ? Further evidence here in this photo of a young HMQ at rifle practice aboard HMS Vanguard. 

Pete

Yes, it was.

I went back to the sources and checked! (approved for Naval Use only Jan 15 1912)

The MkII conversion - unlike Toby's MkI specifies leaving the volley sights in place.

Thanks for posting that picture - I have not seen it previously.

Chris