Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Stations

Tim Knight

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but am trying to find out if there were any WRNS posted to the Submarine Scout airship services at RNAS Anglesey or RNAS Milton (in Pembroke) in 1918.  I have been trying to find a muster list for these but am failing to find anything.  Presumably, if they were commissioned ships, they would have a muster list?  As land bases, would something similar exit and if so where would I find them?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Thanks for the help.  It looks like the sort of muster lists I was hoping for ended before the end of the 19th Century.  Ship's Logs continued but the muster lists did not.  It does beg the question though of how the officer commanding the station knew who he was supposed to have under his command.  I have been provided with an establishment for the two stations in question identifying 26 and 18 women respectively but not the names, or duties.

Any pointers as to where this information might be able to be found would be much appreciated.

You may want to try and see if there are any websites or Face Book Pages that somebody has started who may have a local interest in or relatives who served at the Naval Air stations you mention. It’s a long shot but as an example my Father served at Pennfield Ridge Air Station in Novia Scotia in WW2 and they have a wonderful Face Book Page with heaps of information run by a local guy who has an interest in its history. Give it a go you may strike lucky.

Edited by Lawryleslie

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum.

First of all a couple of questions.

Were both stations retained by what was left of the RNAS after the creation of the RAF on the 1st April 1918? Were WRNS transferred to the WRAF? If so may be other sources you could look at.

If you don't mind my asking, what's prompted you to look into this? My initial thought was to look to see if any WRNS deaths were associated with either station by doing a simple search on the WW1 Naval Casualties database - there was always the possibility of a flu related death for example - but drew a blank. So presumably all of your 26 + 18 survived the war.

Cheers

Peter