Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Cassap - Durham Light Infantry 37686

ACassap

Hi all,

I am trying to find information and (hopefully) photos about my great great uncle, Robert Cassap (regimental number 37686), as well as the DLI 19th Battalion with which he was serving.
Robert died of wounds on 15th October 1918 and was subsequently interred at the Hooge Crater Cemetery. After doing a little research, we have found that there are war diaries for not only France, Belgium, Germany but also for Gallipoli. We have tried researching what role the 19th Battalion DLI played in Gallipoli, but to no success. We have also had little success in finding any information that shows Robert was with a different battalion, before joining the 19th DLI on the Western European front, if that was the case.

Is there anyone out there who could help with info?

Thank you in advance
Ash

The medals rolls and card show British War and Victory Medals only. The lack of a Star shows he did not serve in a theatre of war prior to the start of 1916. The Roll also shows he served in the 15 DLI as well as the 19DLI abroad. Neither battalion served in Gallipoli as far as I can see. Also given the service abroad is only sometime after 31/12/15 I think all his overseas service was on the western front.

The CWGC has him recorded as Cassop. Their docs showed he was originally buried elsewhere before being buried at Hooge Crater. The Trench map ref is given of his battlefield burial and it will be possible to locate where this original burial was. 

• Admin

Ancestry has indexed him as Cassell in Soldiers Effects!  

Enlisted Newcastle, around July 1916.  More than likely conscripted under the terms of the Military Service Act.

He did not serve in the Dardanelles Campaign.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Mark1959 and kenf48, thank you for your replies :)

12 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

The medals rolls and card show British War and Victory Medals only. The lack of a Star shows he did not serve in a theatre of war prior to the start of 1916. The Roll also shows he served in the 15 DLI as well as the 19DLI abroad. Neither battalion served in Gallipoli as far as I can see. Also given the service abroad is only sometime after 31/12/15 I think all his overseas service was on the western front.

The CWGC has him recorded as Cassop. Their docs showed he was originally buried elsewhere before being buried at Hooge Crater. The Trench map ref is given of his battlefield burial and it will be possible to locate where this original burial was. 

I had previously noted that Robert's surname was spelled as "Cassop" by the CWGC,  this is a spelling that has appeared before in my family tree, along with "Carsop".
Can I please ask, where abouts can I find the trench map ref for his battlefield burial?

Ash

Edited by ACassap

Ash

I am not an expert on Trench maps. I know there is a method of transposing Trench maps on modern maps.

can I suggest you edit the title of the thread to include something like trench map location? ( edit the original post) and someone should be along to show you

Edited by Mark1959

Hi Ash,

10 hours ago, ACassap said:

Can I please ask, where abouts can I find the trench map ref for his battlefield burial?

If you look at the 'concentration' report associated with his CWGC record, it shows that before being moved to his current resting place he was buried at

Cassop.jpg.186d0354814c74627aa01ce079a7aba0.jpg

It notes a trench map reference of (sheet 28) J.29.d.30.93. There is advice on how to read trench maps here and here. This link should open up on a map (albeit from December 1917) with square J.29 in the centre. You can use the zoom +/- to see nearby places. and the transparency slider to see how it fits into the modern landscape.

You might find more relevant/up to date maps, for example, in the Brigade HQ and Division HQ war diaries.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Ash

I am not an expert on Trench maps. I know there is a method of transposing Trench maps on modern maps.

can I suggest you edit the title of the thread to include something like trench map location? ( edit the original post) and someone should be along to show you

Thank you for all your help Mark1959

6 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Ash,

If you look at the 'concentration' report associated with his CWGC record, it shows that before being moved to his current resting place he was buried at

Cassop.jpg.186d0354814c74627aa01ce079a7aba0.jpg

It notes a trench map reference of (sheet 28) J.29.d.30.93. There is advice on how to read trench maps here and here. This link should open up on a map (albeit from December 1917) with square J.29 in the centre. You can use the zoom +/- to see nearby places. and the transparency slider to see how it fits into the modern landscape.

You might find more relevant/up to date maps, for example, in the Brigade HQ and Division HQ war diaries.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris :)

Thank you for this information and pointing out the concentration report, which I had completely overlooked  :blush:

Ash

Hi Ash,

No problem. Hopefully you can cross reference to Battalion, Brigade, and Division war diaries to give a greater picture of events.

I don't know if you've already seen it, but Robert seems to have a surviving will - £10 from here. It might literally only be a few words, and add nothing of any real value to what you already know. If you did decide to take a gamble, it would come as a low resolution black and white scan of the original, as a pdf file.

Regards

Chris

• Admin

There was an Advanced Dressing Station at Ghevulet.  On the 16th October 106 Field Ambulance moved to Ghevulet, (war diary 106 FA).  

Therefore it looks like he made it as far as the ADS before he succumbed to his wounds.  The FA diary merely records the attack was renewed on the 15 October.

Ken