Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

133 Battery RFA 1908-1914

Calvykins

Dear all

I am writing a book based on Percival Ernest Shields 46121 RFA and I need much more detail for the period from 1908-1914.

He attended the Duke of York's RM school from 10 years old in 1903 until he was 14 in 1907 when he attested for No 2 RFA at Templemore

From 12 November 1908 to 6th August 1914 he was in 133 Battery RFA. The 1911 census shows him at Ewshot camp

Does anyone know where 133 Bty was between those dates?

The attestation below shows Percy Appointed and posted on 12th Nov 1908 with the rank Trumpeter

The next line shows that he Mustered as a Gunner on the 22nd May 1911 which was about his 18th Birthday.. What is the relevance or mustering at 18 years old?

I'm also very interested in what the training was like and what life was like for a boy solider in the Artillery. Does anyone have any references or books for me to look up as I'm trying to make an accurate description of everyday life? Or what life was like in the Duke of York's RM School

The photo below shows a young Percy he seems to have no rank markings. Can anyone recognise the clocktower? I've look everywhere on google Earth to try to find a match without success. Any thoughts on his uniform? I feel sure it was taken before 1914..

I have a large amount of information about Percy from 1914-1928 when he died in Nowsheera in India so please don't look up that period.

Many thanks

PE Shields 01 copy.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

Calvykins,

Welcome to the Forum,

In August 1914, 133 Battery RFA was stationed at Sheffield as part of 31st Brigade RFA. Both the brigade and its batteries were disbanded and it looks like they went to help form the first six Divisional Ammunition Columns. There is an earlier thread which suggests 133 Battery RFA had been at Sheffield from at least January 1914. It was at Ewshot from 1910 to 1912.

I too cannot yet place the clock tower.

Thanks David that all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information

I know for sure that 133 Bty was in Ewshot in April 1911 as it is in the 1911 census for Percy.

Now I understand. 133 was disbanded in August 1914 at Sheffield and Percy joined the 1st DAC to fight in the war

I have the 1 DAC War Diaries so I can follow his progress from there.

Cheers

The battery were in Fermoy in June 1909. (Service Record of 25767 Gunner William Poole)

The clock tower is at Topsham Barracks, Exeter.

P185225.jpg

Fantastic David Well done

I can only assume 133rd Battery RFA was at some point in Topsham. It would be nice to know when, so I can find out how old he was in the photo

All the best

calvin

According to his records Percy was posted to No 2 RFA Officer Cadet School in Brighton on 20th September 1918 (Some sources have suggested 2RFAOCS was in Exeter)

Unfortunately as it was approaching the end of the war, “ no more permanent commissions are being given he returns at his own request”  and was posted to 4th Reserve Brigade RFA in Exeter in early 1919

I don’t think the photo is of this posting because 1. He was a Sergeant 2. He looks too young (he would have been 25 yrs old in 1918) and 3. He had been wounded in the face in 1916 near Ypres and I can’t see any scars or marks.

For what it’s worth he re-enlisted in the RFA in 1919 and was sent to Nowsheera in the Indian NW Frontier and fought with distinction in 2 Afghan wars and sadly died from heatstroke in 1928 at 35yrs old 

Topsham Barracks, Exeter became No. 2 RFA Officer Cadet School on February 21, 1916 as you have suggested

2B Reserve Brigade RFA at Brighton became No. 4 RFA Officer Cadet School on February 16, 1917, the School was disbanded on December 6, 1917 and reverted to 2B Reserve Brigade RFA.

As you say, I'm not sure why he would be at Exeter without having a stripe on his arm but the location is undeniable. I don't think 133rd Bty were there at all.

The most logical explanation therefore is that the photo is indeed from 1918 when he was on the Officer Cadet course in Exeter. Is it possible that he wore a uniform without markings as he was officially an Officer Cadet?

Yes - this is the uniform he would wear as as RFA officer cadet.   Officers Tunic with tie and belt; cap with white band. He also may be wearing his 1914 star ribbon - i think? -  which fits with 1918. there are many  RA officer cadet group photos online like this RGA one from trowbridge cadet school

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8385/8540535098_02d0b5851d_b.jpg

On 12/7/2017 at 15:42, Calvykins said:

The next line shows that he Mustered as a Gunner on the 22nd May 1911 which was about his 18th Birthday.. What is the relevance or mustering at 18 years old?

This simply means that he ceased to be a "boy soldier" and was now paid at the normal rate for a Gunner.

Ron