Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

News on The Other Side of the Wire volumes 3 and 4

Ralph J. Whitehead

Just wanted to pass this along. Volume 3 of the Other Side of the Wire is expected to come out shortly and volume 4 has been sent to the publisher for the 2018 publishing schedule. While it seems I had only expected to go as far as the 4 volumes, recently I found a treasure trove of materials on the opening months of the war in the Vosges.

Ralph

Ralph,

Congratulations, this is exciting news indeed!   I also have very much enjoyed your first two volumes, which were a great resource for the recently published 2nd edition of my book,  Germany's Iron Regiment of the First World War: War Memories of Service with Infantry Regiment 169, 1914-1918.  The new edition is essentially a rewrite of the original that adds over 100 pages of text, maps and pictures to the 2014 publication.

As you know, IR 169's service often paralleled XIV Reserve Corps movements.  I am particularity  interested in your research on the Vosges, where my grandfather fought with IR 169 in the first weeks of the war.  There is a real scarcity of English language accounts on the German side of that campaign, and no doubt your research will be of real value.

You may be interested to know that for this second edition, I was able to acquire and translate key excerpts from two additional books that Otto Lais wrote about his 1917-1918 service in IR 169.   I also learned what an interesting fellow that Lais was.  Only 21 years old by the War’s end, he fought as a machine gunner in the Somme and eventually earned a battlefield commission in 1917.  He went on to command IR 169 machine gun and rifle companies in the 1917 Aisne Campaign, the Spring 1918 Offensives, Bapaume and in the Meuse-Argonne.  In a stroke of luck, Lais survived IR 169’s annihilation on November 1, 1918 when he was transferred to a staff position two days earlier (1,500 IR 169 troops entered the Argonne in late September, only a few dozen were left in ranks by Nov 1.)   After the war, he became a teacher and well-noted bohemian artist in Karlsruhe.  Lais was recalled to active service in WW II where he commanded an infantry regiment on the Western Front.  His service in Normandy and the Netherlands earned him Germany’s Knights Cross for valor.  Lais was captured in Holland by Canadian forces just before the War's end.   (For those interested in more on the 'Iron Regiment', you are invited to see www.ironregiment.com.) 

I eagerly await publication of your new books and look forward to future posts on its progress.

Best Regards and wishes for the success of your new books.  John Rieth

Edited by German IR 169

Thank you both for the comments. John, I thoroughly enjoyed your book and it seems I may have to obtain a second copy with the new details. There are so few German histories out there and it is a pleasure to see that there is still some interest. You mentioned new information coming to light. I find that I come across items on a regular basis, some in plain sight that were simply overlooked and others that have come to light in the age of the Internet and digitalization.

Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to seeing your second volume shortly.

Ralph

Excellent news Ralph.  Along with John (German IR 169) and Jack Sheldon you are providing valuable information from the German side, which allows us to see what really happened. This is a wonderful contribution to the English historiography of the war, and helps dispel myths arising from knowing one side of the action.  

Cheers

Chris

• 6 months later...

According to the Helion site, volume 3 is currently available. I am waiting for my copies to arrive. 

33031320_10155524120118499_5522555647406637056_n.jpg

Edited by Ralph J. Whitehead

Hi Ralph,

My copy arrived yesterday and I am looking forward to starting to read it soon. Will the new Vosges 1914 material form a new volume or will it form part of a re-issued Volume I?

Regards
Steve

Edited by 6th Border
missing word

Great news... on all the news you've posted Ralph. Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of Volume 3.

Andrew

On 05/07/2018 at 03:02, 6th Border said:

Hi Ralph,

My copy arrived yesterday and I am looking forward to starting to read it soon. Will the new Vosges 1914 material form a new volume or will it form part of a re-issued Volume I?

Regards
Steve

I am still compiling the materials and if I include the casualty details it would probably become a 5th volume, a prequel.

On 06/07/2018 at 22:09, Ralph J. Whitehead said:

I am still compiling the materials and if I include the casualty details it would probably become a 5th volume, a prequel.

Something to look forward to. Should there be a casualty disc with Volume 3?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, There is no casualty CD with volume 3. In part it was the lack of information when it was written, in part there is no way to determine the names for the latter part of 1916 when the VL went to alphabetical order and no regimental identification. 

I have been updating the CD for 1 July losses and now have 5-6 additional regimental details. 

Ralph

Good news, my author's copies arrived today and after the first look I am quite pleased with how it all turned out. 

Ralph