Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4 Royal Scots Fusiliers

ROBERT 171

my grandfather was with 1/4 RSF in Gallipoli , he was wounded and sent to hospital in Alexandria . on reading his medal index card... he has a 2nd army number for the Northumberland Fusiliers... is there anyway i can find out when and for how long he was with the Northumberland fusiliers and WHY... regards 

2017-12-05.png

I would say on 18th Sept 1917 , 311251 transferred from the 1/4th RSF then.

Andy

Screenshot_20171205-195633.jpg

Screenshot_20171205-195653.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

If you have access to Ancesty look at #311251 Pte David Gibson DCM's Pension file as a good starter.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hi,

2 hours ago, ROBERT 171 said:

... he has a 2nd army number for the Northumberland Fusiliers... is there anyway i can find out when and for how long he was with the Northumberland fusiliers

Near service number sampling may help. For example, 8126 Smith (1/4 RSF) and 8790 Gibson (1/4 RSF) were transferred/posted to 2/7 NF from hospital in Alexandria on 18th September 1917, and renumbered 311253 and 311251 respectively.

1 hour ago, ROBERT 171 said:

found this.... dated 1920... is there anything in here that would suggest a join date ????

Forces War Records have a hospital admission/discharge record transcription for him from the records of H.M.A.T Ship Assaye which seem to read that aged 19, he was originally admitted with an undiagnosed ailment on 2nd January 1916, and 'transferred to Alexandria 09/01/1916'. At the time he was serving with 'C' Company, 1/4th Bn with 1 years service, of which 7 months had been overseas/in the field.

Near number sampling of his 8318 (1/4) RSF number may point towards a more specific sign up date.

Good luck.

Regards

Chris

Edit: I should have read Andy's more closely 

Edited by clk

You may already be aware that Private Ferguson was evacuated from Gallipoli on HMHS Assaye. He was admitted on the 2nd January 1916 and as you indicate taken to Alexandria. His condition is described as NYD (not yet diagnosed) which suggest he was suffering from illness rather than a wound. It would be helpful to know if you have anything to indicate that he was wounded at Gallipoli?

Regards

Alan

the initial paper clip suggests Robert Ferguson was seriously ill with the fever as suggested in the paper, the following week a correction was made reference Roberts injurys..the person who was seriously ill was his brother Alexander who was with the RN division and had enteric fever... Robert was infact injured when a shell exploded near where he was on periscope duty

2017-12-06 (1).png

2017-12-06.png

Robert was reported as wounded in Feb 1916 Times Daily Wounded List....Under Mediterranean Casualties..which would put his actual wounding in early Jan.

Andy

Screenshot_20171206-194040.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

44 minutes ago, ROBERT 171 said:

he was actually with D company 1/4 RSF

I guess that the transcript must be wrong then. Don't know why I bothered wasting my time looking for you, and posting.

5 minutes ago, clk said:

I guess that the transcript must be wrong then. Don't know why I bothered wasting my time looking for you, and posting.

didnt mean to upset you, the newspapers reported him as D coy and thats what ive been working on ever since i started this project..i thank you from the bottom of my heart for the help and appreciate all you have done... regards Robert

Hi Chris

The transcription is correct in that the admissions book for HMHS Assaye states that the casualty was in 'C' Company as you pointed out. I photographed all nine of the books at Kew and transcribed them about five or six years ago. My interest in this post was that the admission book states NYD and not a wound as others are on the page. It would be fair to say that I've found spelling mistakes, wrong Regimental numbers and the like in the books, they were in a war zone after all, but how it would be possible to miss a shrapnel wound (or GSW as it would have been recorded) I'm not so sure.

Regards

Alan

Gentlemen, there has got be a a trancription error or indeed an original clerical error here?

Robert's man is #8318 1/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers.....wounded in Gallipoli as per The Times casualty list.

Meanwhile the FWR man is also R Ferguson #8312 is however 1/4th Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment).  Who too were in Gallipoli in June 1915 and in Jan 1916.

When the R Ferguson RSF was wounded.....and R Ferguson RS is sick.....hence the newspaper retraction in the second image...perhaps?

I can't see a 1/4th RS man at the moment with #8318 as post 1917 it would have gone to a six digit...providing he too stayed with the RS.

I think that all makes sense.

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

• 2 years later...

sorry for the long delay on this subject, im still researching my GF 8318 ROBERT FERGUSON RSF, im confused with the other ROBERT FERGUSON RS 8312, i cant find this person on FWR... can you please let me know how you found the number  regards Rob

very interestingly I have just purchased a photograph album of the 1/4th royal scots in the middle east

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 14:47, barkalotloudly said:

very interestingly I have just purchased a photograph album of the 1/4th royal scots in the middle east

will you be posting these photographs ? or are they for personal use only.... is there more than one copy of the photographs ????