Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial Gardens Dublin invitation - date?

depaor01

Afternoon all

I have come across an invitation to a commemoration at the War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge Dublin. What I find puzzling is that the War Memorial Gardens were to be officially opened in 1939 shortly after their completion, but the opening wasn't proceeded with. The park fell into disrepair and was effectively forgotten until the late 1980s.

The invite is among the effects of a mother who lost her son at Messines.

Could this be an invitation to the aborted opening ceremony?

ms1.jpg

ms2.jpg

ms3.jpg

ms4.jpg

If an opening ceremony were planned for 1939, one would imagine it would have been Armistice Day 1939, which was a Saturday. Its cancellation doubtless arose from a state of war existing, even though the Irish Free State was not involved.

The programme displayed c;learly does not relate to 1939.  Not only is there is no reference to any opening of the memorial, it clearly relates to Remembrance Sunday, a concept which was established in 1945, when both wars began to be remembered on the Sunday nearest 11 November.

It must relate to 1945 or some year thereafter.

If memory is correct there is a subscription list for donations to build this in the Dublin papers around 1919-22.

2 hours ago, Magnumbellum said:

If an opening ceremony were planned for 1939, one would imagine it would have been Armistice Day 1939, which was a Saturday. Its cancellation doubtless arose from a state of war existing, even though the Irish Free State was not involved.

The programme displayed c;learly does not relate to 1939.  Not only is there is no reference to any opening of the memorial, it clearly relates to Remembrance Sunday, a concept which was established in 1945, when both wars began to be remembered on the Sunday nearest 11 November.

It must relate to 1945 or some year thereafter.

From reading the contemporary newspapers the opening was not intended to happen on Armistice Day in order to allow Northern Irish veterans (who might have other ceremonies on that day) to attend. Your Remembrance Sunday clue is very useful. Thanks for that Magnumbellum.

33 minutes ago, museumtom said:

If memory is correct there is a subscription list for donations to build this in the Dublin papers around 1919-22.

I read some reports today. Built by 50% Irish Army and 50% discharged British Army servicemen. I think the document is later than 1922 based on MB's info.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello Dave.

I love a challenge. Below is from August 1919.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.jpg