Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Narrow Gauge Railways

I am looking for information on the activities of the 12th Battalion the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in November 1917. This was a pioneer battalion working on trench narrow gauge railways. On 8th November 1917, the Battalion diary states the Battalion was working on the Forest Hall and Bedlington lines on the Ypres front. These lines are probably around the St Julian to Passendale ares, but I cannot find any mention of these on trench maps. Would these railways be marked on contemporary trench maps? This is part of my research on Sergeant Colin Blythe, the Kent and England cricketer who was killed on 8th November 1917.

Hi Addick

War Diary for 13 October 1917 states, " 'A' Coy working on Wieltje (Forest Hall) Line and 'D' Coy on Bedlington." There is no clue to Bedlington.

Diary for 23 October mentions Gravenstafel Line (C.18); I presume the latter is Sheet 28 though I might be wrong.

Hope your book turns out well - Colin Blythe was a great bowler.

Ken 

On 04/12/2017 at 21:59, addick47 said:

I am looking for information on the activities of the 12th Battalion the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in November 1917. This was a pioneer battalion working on trench narrow gauge railways. On 8th November 1917, the Battalion diary states the Battalion was working on the Forest Hall and Bedlington lines on the Ypres front. These lines are probably around the St Julian to Passendale ares, but I cannot find any mention of these on trench maps. Would these railways be marked on contemporary trench maps? This is part of my research on Sergeant Colin Blythe, the Kent and England cricketer who was killed on 8th November 1917.

Railways were marked on various types of map, the segment below is from a 1:40,000 paste-up of the Ypres area, it shows the Bedlington line and Forest Hall line just above it. Full version here on Dropbox.

This and others are on the WFA Mapping the Front DVD for Ypres.

Edit- added a more detailed map, full version here.

Howard

Bedlingtonline.jpg

Edited by Howard

10 hours ago, Howard said:

Railways were marked on various types of map, the segment below is from a 1:40,000 paste-up of the Ypres area, it shows the Bedlington line and Forest Hall line just above it. Full version here on Dropbox.

This and others are on the WFA Mapping the Front DVD for Ypres.

Edit- added a more detailed map, full version here.

Howard

Hi Howard

Thanks for the information in respect of the WFA DVD (Ypres). I'm actually researching the Salient for a completely separate reason. Think I'll enquire about obtaining a copy!!

Cheers

Ken