Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 14 Equipment Study -- and cap badge ID

4thGordons

Not sure why I didn't add this one at the time, but reference photos of an original 1914 Pattern (2nd Issue) large pack made in 1915 by HGR with the "For Training Purposes Only" mark:

s-l1600[1] (2).jpg

s-l1600[1] (3).jpg

s-l1600[1].jpg

s-l1600[2].jpg

3 hours ago, Grovetown said:

Very belatedly as came across this thread for the first time in a very long time researching something else, but herewith images of a 1914 pattern pouch marked 'For Training Purposes Only'. British made if I recall, although now resides with another forum member.

Cheers,

GT.

That’s interesting - a British made pouch and Andrew’s British pack - both dispelling the notion that only the poorer quality US made Pattern 1914 was relegated for training only. I suggest it also casts doubt on the idea that all Pattern 1914 was originally intended for training purposes only - if as a pattern it was downgraded wholesale, there would be no need to mark individual components as such. So I’d say we’re closer to the answer but still don’t know what it is.

It’s also interesting to see that GT’s first pattern pouch which by 1918 had not only been downgraded for training but was also a component of a pattern that had, by then, been largely relegated to second line issue, nonetheless underwent an upgrade to replace the single front closure strap with a pair of straps. I’ve don’t recall seeing any photo evidence of the modified pouches in the front line although Karkee Web identifies the LoC for the mod as Feb 1918.

Cheers

Pete

I’d forgotten about this thread….great to see more “for training purposes only” stamped examples.

with reference to Cook examples, in 2019 I did manage to find a matching bayonet frog and helve carrier….both stamped “Cook 1915”, and unit marked to the south staffs. 
Shockingly thin leather and fragile but no other stamps, pics below for any future reference.

Dave.

EC81CBDF-09F7-41E1-8C07-ACDA4899D3E1.jpeg

74382540-5D25-459E-A9BC-724F3814D555.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2021 at 20:13, Pete_C said:

I suggest it also casts doubt on the idea that all Pattern 1914 was originally intended for training purposes only - if as a pattern it was downgraded wholesale, there would be no need to mark individual components as such. So I’d say we’re closer to the answer but still don’t know what it is.

It’s also interesting to see that GT’s first pattern pouch ....

Cheers

Pete

The pouch shown is with the February 1918 conversion.

My understanding is that 1914 ptn was for 3rd Bns/ Training Reserve, but found its way into service as the shortfall of 08 was too great.

I think the 'training purposes only' marks are post-war as the examples I have seen have also been marked to OTCs. The pouch is T C O T C - Trinity College possibly.

I've also had a belt marked both to the 9th Londons and Whitgift School.

Cheers,

GT.

Edited by Grovetown