Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major James Fischer Wilkinson MC

padrenick

•  

I am researching Major James Fischer Wilkinson who was killed in action in October 1918 and was commissioned in 1914 and served throughout the war in the RFA.  He was awarded am MC in 1916 and was one of the youngest Majors in the Army He was 23 when he died.  I have recently bought his silver Christening cup which has godmother had engraved as a memorial to him after he died.  

james wilkinson jp pic.JPG

9 minutes ago, padrenick said:
  •  

I am researching Major James Fischer Wilkinson who was killed in action in October 1918 and was commissioned in 1914 and served throughout the war in the RFA.  He was awarded am MC in 1916 and was one of the youngest Majors in the Army He was 23 when he died.  I have recently bought his silver Christening cup which has godmother had engraved as a memorial to him after he died.  

Hello Padre Nick, admitedly not the clearest but his capbadge appears to tell a different tale.

Back to your OP is there an specific info your seek?

Andy

His MC appears to be a King's Birthday Honour, LG 29608.

His commissioning in the LG from RMAS.

Screenshot_20171202-165026.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks chaps  All I know is he went to Harrow School and there are a few memorials dotted around the SE of England. I also have this:

SON of Alfred Maximilian Wilkinson (O.H.), of Wittersham, Kent, formerly of Warren Hill, Eastbourne, and of his wife, lone Mary Wilkinson. Monitor, 1911; Head of the Army Class. R.M.C., Woolwich, 1912.

Major Wilkinson was gazetted to the Royal Field Artillery, and went to France in November, 1914. He was posted to the First Division and took part in the First Battle of Ypres. In 1916 he was appointed to the command of the 54th Battery, 39th Brigade, First Division, before he was twentyone years old, being at that time the youngest acting Major in the old Army. In this Battery he remained till the day of his death. He was awarded the M.C. in June, 1916, and was mentioned in Despatches. He was twice wounded in 1914, and in 1918. He was killed on October 29th, 1918, while taking part in an attack near Catillon. When the Infantry were temporarily held up he went on encouraging and leading them, but was shot in the head just as the objective was reached. After having fought with so much honour all through the War he was killed only twelve days before the Armistice was signed. He was buried in the cemetery outside the village of La Vallee Mulatre, a few miles south of Le Cateau. Brigadier-General Lewin wrote:— " I cannot tell you how greatly we all feel the irreparable loss. The most gallant, warm-hearted, lovable comrade gone from us !" His Colonel wrote :— " In spite of very considerable difference in our ages I looked upon him as a close personal friend, whose loss touches me very nearly as a personal matter, besides depriving me of an able and gallant Battery Commander. But indeed we all loved him, and there is no one in the Division who does not regret his loss. Also he is not only a loss to me, but to the whole Regiment of Artillery, for he was quite one of the most promising and distinguished of our young Officers. ... It is difficult to write so as not to appear intrusive, but, if not nowf at all events in the future, you may care to know how dear he was to his brother-officers, and what a high opinion we had  of him."

I bought his Christening mug last year which his godmother had inscribed after this death See pic.  Nick 

james wilkinson mug 1.jpg

I believe the cap badge in the original picture is correct for RFA, just the chinstrap overlaying it has created an odd appearance. Something like below (note the two lowest points of the RFA badge can just be seen peaking out below the chinstrap in the original):Royal_Artillery_badge_with_line.png

Royal Artillery badge with line.png

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thanks Old Sweats that is very good of you. Nick 

• 2 months later...

Bit late, sorry: Major Wilkinson is on the WW1 memorial at St John's Church, Meads, Eastbourne.  His father was headmaster of Warren Hill prep school, Beachy Head Road, for more than 20 years c 1891 - after 1911, and James  and his elder brother were born in Eastbourne.

Liz

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

thanks

• 4 months later...

Padrenick, I wonder if you can help me. The IWM Memorial Register for Wootton by Woodstock, Oxfordshire says St Mary the Virgin church has the Flag used as a Pall at Major Wilkinson's burial, together with a brass plaque stating "THIS FLAG SAW MUCH SERVICE IN FRANCE DURING THE GREAT WAR AND WAS USED AS A PALL WHEN MAJOR J. F. WILKINSON MC WAS BURIED AT LA VALLEE-MULATRE, AISNE IN 1918".  

I was at the church a few days ago and there is no sign of a flag or plaque.  Do you have any idea where they might be?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

so sorry never been there 

• 1 year later...
On 02/12/2017 at 16:53, padrenick said:

Thanks chaps  All I know is he went to Harrow School and there are a few memorials dotted around the SE of England. I also have this:

SON of Alfred Maximilian Wilkinson (O.H.), of Wittersham, Kent, formerly of Warren Hill, Eastbourne, and of his wife, lone Mary Wilkinson. Monitor, 1911; Head of the Army Class. R.M.C., Woolwich, 1912.

Major Wilkinson was gazetted to the Royal Field Artillery, and went to France in November, 1914. He was posted to the First Division and took part in the First Battle of Ypres. In 1916 he was appointed to the command of the 54th Battery, 39th Brigade, First Division, before he was twentyone years old, being at that time the youngest acting Major in the old Army. In this Battery he remained till the day of his death. He was awarded the M.C. in June, 1916, and was mentioned in Despatches. He was twice wounded in 1914, and in 1918. He was killed on October 29th, 1918, while taking part in an attack near Catillon. When the Infantry were temporarily held up he went on encouraging and leading them, but was shot in the head just as the objective was reached. After having fought with so much honour all through the War he was killed only twelve days before the Armistice was signed. He was buried in the cemetery outside the village of La Vallee Mulatre, a few miles south of Le Cateau. Brigadier-General Lewin wrote:— " I cannot tell you how greatly we all feel the irreparable loss. The most gallant, warm-hearted, lovable comrade gone from us !" His Colonel wrote :— " In spite of very considerable difference in our ages I looked upon him as a close personal friend, whose loss touches me very nearly as a personal matter, besides depriving me of an able and gallant Battery Commander. But indeed we all loved him, and there is no one in the Division who does not regret his loss. Also he is not only a loss to me, but to the whole Regiment of Artillery, for he was quite one of the most promising and distinguished of our young Officers. ... It is difficult to write so as not to appear intrusive, but, if not nowf at all events in the future, you may care to know how dear he was to his brother-officers, and what a high opinion we had  of him."

I appreciate the years have flown by since this post, but I am intrigued to know why Major Wilkinson is remembered so poignantly in the church at Wootton, Oxfordshire, where his original battlefield cross and magnificent memorial plaque are located.

Thanks for the comment.  His godmother was the wife of the vicar of the parish.  They were very close and indeed the  Christening mug which she gave him was later inscribed with his date of death and is now in my possession 

Thank you for solving the mystery. St Mary’s church, Wootton, is a treasure trove of Great War memories, thanks in no small measure to Maud Marriott and her husband, the rector, Canon Frank Marriott. Their only son, 2nd Lt. John Douglas Marriott, was killed in September 1917. His original battlefield cross from Hooge Crater Cemetery is on display alongside that of Major Wilkinson and other fallen sons of Wootton.

Clearly two close families united in grief. I had forgotten about their son thanks for the reminder.