Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sirhind Bde refusing to fight

ddycher

Saw a ref today to the Sirhind Bde refusing to move forward on 1st May 1915.

This from David Omissi's "Indian Voices"

Anybody have any details ?

Regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher
Adding ref

Spent some time today trying to make sense of this.

It should have involved the Sihind Bde's attack on Hill 29 on Mauser Ridge during 2nd Ypres and have involved either the 1/1st or 1/4th Gurkhas. The Lahore Division being detached from the Indian Corps to relieve 2nd Ypres. The attack that day was unsuccessful but I cant find any further ref's to the Bde refusing to fight. Nothing in in Merewether, Corrigan or Willcocks. Best I can come up with was some reluctance to attack across the open ground under machine gun fire to attack the German trenches but again not ref's on hand to support. I have misc ref's to the German hanging of Indian prisoners and discontent with gas masks supplied but nothing to support any claim that Walkers orders to attack were refused. He being with the 15th Sikhs ordered the withdrawal after dark.

In fact Walker comments that the behaviour of his Bde from the 17th to the 1st May inclusive had been "excellent throughout". Keary's comments on the attack are somewhat defensive in nature and it is worth noting that neither of the Gurkhas are listed in his special mention. Willcocks gives no hint of trouble. During the period the Lahore Division was under Plumer's command. Plumer deplored the heavy casualties but gives no reference to disobedience. 

That said it is a coincidence that the 51st Division was attached to the Indian Corps on the 2nd and the Lahore Division was pulled from the line on the 3rd returning to the Indian Corps. The Sirhind Bde being put in reserve to the Meerut Division. Not being re-engaged until the 14th.

So at a loss. Now wondering if this is a typo in the original and could possibly reflect disagreements between Walker and Willcocks on the 18/19th at Ferme.

Anyone have any idea ?

regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

For anyone interested Mike Skipman and I have continued this here :

regards

Dave