Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auxiliary and Military Hospitals

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the criteria soldiers where sent to military or auxiliary hospitals. Would it have been based on their regiment location? where they used to live during peace time? or based purely on the availability in the hospital. My Great grandfather was shot in the leg during the war and I'm just trying to possibly identify where a photo was taken. I assume it's veteran reunion around late 1930s-1940s as they all look old, apart from a few younger nurses making me think it was still an operating hospital.

P.S was the other image a certificate awarded with the victory medal.

photo (3).jpg

MIL_DIS_CERT.jpg

I am fairly sure that the scroll shown was not issued with the victory medal. More likely issued by the Dorset Regiment Old Comrades Association or similar.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I am fairly sure that the scroll shown was not issued with the victory medal. More likely issued by the Dorset Regiment Old Comrades Association or similar.

Im pretty sure the certificate was issued or presented in conjunction with the silver war badge.

A number of versions were printed to reflect the different services and ranks, found a couple of instances where they are mentioned on this forum, and I have one issued to a chap who was awarded the silver war badge.

Dave.

Certainly looks like a King's Certificate that went with a SWB.

Can't find an entry for 7070 Draper in SWB rolls though. His MIC and 1914 roll don't mentioned his discharge but his BWM/Vict does state discharged 13/4/1920 MU (Medically Unfit?).

Quote from IWM;

Entitlement to the Silver War Badge did not necessarily entitle a man to the award of a King’s Certificate, but those awarded a Certificate would have been entitled to the Badge.

So where's his SWB roll entry?

TEW