Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical abbreviation 2685 Hugh Delap RIR

depaor01

Hi all,

I'm presenting the story of Rifleman 2685 Hugh Delap of the Royal Irish Rifles who was dogged with health problems throughout the war and died at home of various complications including curvature of the spine.

I'm having some problems in reading/interpreting the terminology in his pension record. PUO is Pyrexia of Unknown Origin (thanks to forum for this!) and NYD is Not Yet Diagnosed (ditto). That is the abbreviation after NYD? Is the pleurisy "effusive"? and finally can't decode the last line. I've underlined the words:

Untitled-2.jpg.0528197516f0569a9fe4e936861eece3.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Hi Dave,

Think Slt is abbreviation of slight i.e. small in degree, inconsiderable (I've seen this often used in medical lists)

Pleurisy effusion (cribbed from the net):

pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the pleural space, an area between the layers of tissue that line the lungs and the chest cavity. It may also be referred to as effusion or pulmonary effusion.

The last one - GH Drs ? e.g. General Hospital doctors but not sure of the last part, 3rd something 

1 minute ago, PaddyO said:

Hi Dave,

Think Slt is abbreviation of slight i.e. small in degree, inconsiderable (I've seen this often used in medical lists)

Pleurisy effusion (cribbed from the net):

pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the pleural space, an area between the layers of tissue that line the lungs and the chest cavity. It may also be referred to as effusion or pulmonary effusion.

The last one - GH Drs ? e.g. General Hospital doctors but not sure of the last part, 3rd something 

Thanks PaddyO. If Slt is Slight, then Not Yet Diagnosed Slight still looks incomplete to me.  Thanks for "effusion".

GH Drs looks good... 3rd Echelon maybe?

Dave

Hello Dave. I am not sure if you have this but he was discharged with curvature of the spine (from his SWB).

Cheers.

Tom.

First name(s) Hugh
Last name Delap
Service number 7/1985
Rank Rifleman
Badge number 413840
Enlistment date 02-Jan-1915
Discharge date 17-Jun-1918
Regiment/unit Royal Irish Rifles 4th Bn.
Cause of discharge Curvature of Spine Para 392 xvi King's Regulation
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 20-Jun-1918
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from England, Great Britain

Naval & Military Press

20 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Hello Dave. I am not sure if you have this but he was discharged with curvature of the spine (from his SWB).

Cheers.

Tom.

First name(s) Hugh
Last name Delap
Service number 7/1985
Rank Rifleman
Badge number 413840
Enlistment date 02-Jan-1915
Discharge date 17-Jun-1918
Regiment/unit Royal Irish Rifles 4th Bn.
Cause of discharge Curvature of Spine Para 392 xvi King's Regulation
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 20-Jun-1918
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from England, Great Britain

Naval & Military Press

Yes. Got that info Tom. Trench fever and pleurisy in the mix there too according to his pension records.  He was supplied with a water bed near the end as part of his treatment.

I visit him often in St. Maelruain's in Tallaght. He's still remembered by someone. Poppies appear on his grave regularly.

Dave

39 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

GH Drs looks good... 3rd Echelon maybe

General Headquarters 3rd Echelon. This was the base at Rouen where all the personnel records were maintained.

Ron

3 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

General Headquarters 3rd Echelon. This was the base at Rouen where all the personnel records were maintained.

Ron

Many thanks Ron.

Dave

Glad to help!

This is a good illustration of the value of posting a picture of the text containing a doubtful word or abbreviation, so that it can be seen in context. From that it is easier to work out what the doubtful bit is likely to be - even knowing in which column of a form it appears can be a big help.

Ron

• 7 months later...

Hugh Delap.

Resting beneath the laurels in St Maelruain’s Churchyard in Tallaght Village is Hugh Delap who died, aged 22, one hundred years ago today. My limited inquiries says that he was from Bohernabreena and died from an illness picked up in the trenches, as noted above. He enlisted in January 1915 and was discharged due to illness in June 1918, so he experienced some three and half years of the “Great War”. I suppose it was some small consolation that he got home to see his family and friends. Perhaps he still has relatives around Tallaght?

Thanks for the reminder Tom. I visit him often. Haven't been able to find any relatives over the years.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Dave

• 3 months later...
On 25/07/2018 at 09:36, depaor01 said:

Thanks for the reminder Tom. I visit him often. Haven't been able to find any relatives over the years.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Dave

Hi my mum is Hugh's niece.  She has been trying to find out about him for many years.  We have just found out some details  of his life yesterday after only having an old photo all these years. 

My mum left Ireland to live in England  around 50 years ago. If you have any information she would love to hear from you. 

On 25/07/2018 at 06:01, Tom2018 said:

Hugh Delap.jpg

Hi Darren

Great to hear of a relative finally. I have researched him and he is part of a presentation I give on families of Irishmen who died. When you have more posts you can PM me and I can share what I have with you.

Dave

My mum is so thrilled at the opportunity to know more about her uncle. 

My grandad was a man of few words so my mum knows very few details other  than her grandmother died at a young age and that she had an uncle Hugh and and three sisters. 

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Was the pleural effusion related to his death? TB was notorious for causing such effusions, although there are 1001 causes.

The conditions he had were spinal fusion with arthritis along with the effusion. The records note that he maintained the afflictions were due to his service and he was given a water bed and it was noted he needed 24 hour care. Not sure if this answers your question. 

Dave

The arthritis could be responsible. Nasty aggressive Rheumatoid Arthritis or some other collagen vascular disease like Lupus or similar might have been a possibility.

• 2 months later...

There is a poignant postscript to this. Our library acquired an FMP subscription, and today I set about putting random names into it, being more used to Ancestry and wanting to see the differences.

I put in Hugh Delap's name, and up came dog licence records from 1901, and there was Hugh Delap of Killinninny (a VERY small Dublin townland which is where he lived).

At that time he is stated to have owned a dog I had never heard of before - a Wheaton/Wheaten terrier.

Some hours later I came across a news item on BBC about a wheaton terrier (which I'd never heard of before today) having been killed in the U.S. and the rest of the news item is irrelevant to my story.

I must confess to be astonished at the coincidence.

Dave