Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancs Field Ambulance

DaveR

Does anyone know whether a history of the East Lancashire Field Ambulance in the Great War was written. I'm particularly interested in 1915.

regards

Dave Risley

The casualty list from the sinking of the Royal Edward include men of the 2/1st, 1/2nd, 2/2nd, 1/3rd and 2/3rd ELFA.

regards

Dave Risley

Dave

This may help with the background.

The Royal Edward was owned by the Canadian Northern Steamship Co. and built in 1906 by Fairfields.

Her captain was Commander PM Wotten RNR and was employed in carrying troops to Galliploi in 1915. On August 13th she was torpedoed by the submarine UB-14 (Lt Heino von Heimburg) six miles West of Kandeliusa Island and sank quickly after being hit in the stern.

The hospital ship Soudan, two French destroyers and a number of trawlers were quickly on the scene but were only able to save 500 of the 1,366 troops on board.

Terry Reeves

Dave

I have identified a large number of officers men who apppear to be from ELFA.

If you e-mail me your home address via the forum I will put them in the post for you.

Terry Reeves

Dave/Terry

re; 'Royal Edward'

'The Gallipolian' Winter 2002-2003 No.100 had an 11 page article on this ship by Neil Burnett who is also in the process of writing a book on her. If you are interested and have not seen it then please let me know. Likewise, Neil's article appealed for further info on anyone lost when she went down. If you wish to contact him and need his address, then please e-mail me.

regards

Michael D.R.

In conversation the other day a neighbour of mine revealed that she has a copy of her father's World War One Diary (the original is in the IWM). He was in 3rd East Lancs Field Ambulance. I haven't had chance to read it fully. I'm planning to transcribe it. I don't remember him being in a shipwreck-he arrived at Gallipoli in early May as far as I recall.

• 6 years later...
Dave/Terry

re; 'Royal Edward'

'The Gallipolian' Winter 2002-2003 No.100 had an 11 page article on this ship by Neil Burnett who is also in the process of writing a book on her. If you are interested and have not seen it then please let me know. Likewise, Neil's article appealed for further info on anyone lost when she went down. If you wish to contact him and need his address, then please e-mail me.

regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

My great grandfather was on the Royal Edward when it sank he was one of the few Lancashire Fusiliers aboard, would appreciate reading the article in the Gallipolian regarding the ship, I am trying to research all the Lancashire Fusiliers who lost their lives that day, I shall send you an email via this forum with my details.

Kind regards Sue

Dave/Terry

re; 'Royal Edward'

regards

Michael D.R.