Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. + 2nd Lt: King's Royal Rifle Corps, found together

laughton

David,

I neglected to say that the trench map above is cropped from the 1:40,000 Sheet 66D May 1917.

Areas with a high probability of being George's last resting places would be any of the squares in Square 'I' bar except the area N of MESNIL and the western squares of Square 'J' including perhaps Square J.28 around CANIZY.

If you have information about bodies of Unknown British Rifle Regiment Second Lieutenants with trench map references beginning 66D.I.or 66D.J., then they would be worth more detailed scrutiny.

Mark

Mark,

Most grateful.  You'll guess I'm new to this level of detail and now need to see where this can take me/us.  Will obviously look to keep you informed if we can move this forward.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Laughton,

I would like to suggest a name on your original list: 2nd Lt. JH Laycock attached to 18th KRRC which I believe attacked near Eaucourt L'Abbaye on 7th October 1916. He may have been captured and died of his wounds in German hands. There is a very moving account of the effect of his being posted as missing on his new wife on my Northallerton Memorials Project website at www.northallertonmemorials.org.uk.

Steve Metcalfe.

I have not looked at this case for some time but so I have marked it on the master list as having activity this past month.

You can check to see if Laycouck was a POW and DOW on the ICRC database here: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

I should also note that if you are advising someone of an old topic with a new post it is best to use the format wit the @ sign in front of the name to "ping" that person. So where you put "Laughton" you should put @laughton and then I get a message.