Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer's file at Kew, look-up request?

daggers

If anyone has time to spare at the National Archives, I would be very grateful if they could look for the file of 2/Lieut Henry AINSLIE, who was commissioned into the Labour Corps on 16 December 1917 after a few months of service in the RFC.

The file is catalogued by TNA as WO374/530 and they state the former reference number was 450.

I have his medal index card and his RFC form AFB 103 but would like to see what else happened to him.  He survived the war but died in 1927, possibly from the effects of wartime gassing.

Many thanks in advance if this you can help.

Daggers

Yes-   I was supposed to zap some officer files at Kew last Saturday  but missed out- TfL decided to close both the District Line and Overground without notice, so an early start merely gave me  an early view of Earl's Court Station- Apparently, TfL do not announce closures before 9 o'clock in the morning-which is less than helpful- as"it might upset people"

So, if you can hold out to Saturday, I can get it done (DV TfL) And others outstanding for GWF pals

Thank you, Saturday or later will be excellent.

I shall send you my email by PM in the morning in case you have cleared out since we were in touch some weeks ago.

Daggers

7 minutes ago, daggers said:

Thank you, Saturday or later will be excellent.

I shall send you my email by PM in the morning in case you have cleared out since we were in touch some weeks ago.

Daggers

D- Nothing that efficient- PM is still on file-it will outlast me!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a  lot in his file:

HENRY AINSLIE

9th February 1918- to Labour Corps Base Depot, Boulogne

20th February 1918-  to 109 Labour Company

1 week’s leave from unit to attend course at RA, Trouville.  (25th July – 1st August 1918)

1st October 1918- To Labour Corps School of Instruction for course.

14th October 1918- Back to unit.

16th October 1918-30th October 1918- Leave in UK

3rd November 1918- rejoined unit

3rd November 1918 – admitted to 32 CCS with PUO (Pyrexia of Unknown Origin= unknown high fever)

7th November 1918-  To 8th British Red Cross Hospital- influenza

3rd December 1918- Discharged

14th December 1918- to 13 CCS- Urethritis

20th January 1919- to 182 Labour Company

14th May –Discharged from 39 General Hospital (admissison date and cause unknown)

16th May 1919- Home for demobilization

In RFC he was Air Mechanic 3rd Class. Sent to Officer Cadet Battalion at Jesus College, Cambridge, 5th October 1917

Born 27th March 1896 in Liverpool

In the OTC at Shrewsbury School for 4 years

Good character on officer application given by Charles Lister Shand, County Court Judge, signed off 21st July 1917.

Height 6’  0 1/2”

Edited by Guest

On 09/12/2017 at 11:14, daggers said:

A public 'thank you' to GUEST for his help in digging out this file.

Daggers

Not necessary-  I worked in London for 40 years-so I'm determined to bash my TfL travel card. Now if The National Archives could get a much cheaper "greasy spoon" caff -preferably serving real ale....it would make Kew even more attractive.

Pip,pip