Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. C K Merewether, 4th Wiltshire Regt.

BridgetM

In case anyone with an interest in cricket is following this - thanks to Brian White Treasurer of the County Club, I have confirmation of CK Merewether's playing for Wiltshire. The following comes from 'Wiltshire Cricketers 1858 - 2014' compiled by Tony Percival and published by the Association of Cricket Statisticians and Historians (see http://acscricket.com/?page_id=45&category=11&product_id=116):

Merewether, Captain Christopher Ken.  Born 26/51890, North Bradley, Trowbridge, died 20/12/1917 Port Said, Egypt. Educated Winchester College and Oxford University (Oriel).

He played 2 matches for Wiltshire in 1912 and scored 22 runs in 3 innings.

Now I can be sure that obituary writers were not just copying each other!

• 10 months later...

Bridget

Christopher Merewether was ADC to Maj.Gen Colin George Donald (GOC Wessex Division). Merewether replaced a J.N. Carson (also from 4th Wilts) on the 27th October 1914 at Suez whilst the Wessex Division was at sea on the way to India. Merewether was restored to the establishment 22nd November 1914. As far as I can tell he was subsequently seconded again in 1915. I don't know who too. It does not say in the unit history.

In the unit history (1/4th Bn, Wilts Regt 1914~1919) he is stated as a Coy commander and Capt (he had commanded A Coy first as a Lieut as early as April 1916). On his wounding it says little more than "he was dangerously wounded in the spine at El Mesmiyeh on 13th November dieing in Port Said on the 20th". Which you already had.

Hope it helps.

Dave

Edited by ddycher

Thank you, I shall see if I can get hold of the Unit history in order to quote it on his LoFWW Life Story.

• 4 weeks later...

Bridget

Have you had a look in the collection of the Regimental museum website at The wardrobe. MEREWETHER appears in a number of images that will if not already seen should interest you. We also think he is in some way linked to an officer of the 66th [Berkshire] Regiment in India in the 1880s. [On the same list]

Hope that helps

Cheers

Springer