Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gaza to Jerusalem

Gareth Davies

I have had  couple of trips to Israel/Palestine this year to look at some of the actions of 1917 and because it is a path less well trodden I thought I might share some of my photos with you.  

First up, the Ottoman trenches south east of Beersheba.

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Next, the area where Lafone and the men of the Middlesex Yeomanry held off a large Turkish attack. Lafone was killed; he was awarded the VC.

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

These photos are taken in the vicinity of Sheikh Abbas.  The memorial was built on the 50th anniversary.  The final photo shows the location of Tank Redoubt.

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

Muggar Ridge:

The photos don't do justice to the height of the ridge and thus the challenge that the Yeomanry faced.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

Nice images. I was reading a book in bed last night that debunks Aussie great war myths. It was the Light Horse chapter so quite topical.

Bernard

The view from Nabi Samwil:

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

Hi Gareth,

May I add to this?

Jim

HUJ from the South East:

NW toward Huj 2.JPG

Please do Jim.  This is it from the north:

IMG_1279.jpg

Splendid photos - thanks for sharing them especially the HUJ photos - the Centenary was Remembered with a special event in the Ballroom of The Court House, Warwick on the 8 November 2017.

Philip

Edited by Philip Wilson

Gareth,

Further to your above No.5

P1070007.thumb.JPG.7fcf386b0255af5ab9912095f31ab7f0.JPG

Earlier this year when you and I visited Nebi Samuel with Eran, pressed as we were for time, we did not have a chance to go onto the roof, but that opportunity came my way yesterday when the Society for the Heritage of WWI in Israel visited the site, again guided by our chairman, Eran.

If there is not a moslem prayer service going on at that time, then one can usually gain access to the roof by entering the main hall and ascending the stairs immediately on the left.

P1070015.thumb.JPG.af5f915400e765eb54f9d85bdb2a1623.JPGP1070013.JPG.ad4be0c61b80d460c31951cc4decce96.JPG

The extra elevation is helpful

The two towers on the skyline below are (left) the Auguste Victoria and (right) the Russian Convent of the Ascension.

In 1917 the then city of Jerusalem would lie in the valley this side of the Russian tower

P1070003.JPG.d485ea20dad541cb47a5d9fdefabd76d.JPG

The view below is towards Ein Kerrem which lies the other side of the first ridge (below the Haddasa Hospital complex which can be seen in the centre)

P1070004.JPG.be2214d9601dbd833b3d6c84783ce577.JPG

Below is the view down to the coastal plain

P1070009.JPG.67aab20e84991718fe2eaaf04b9edb1d.JPG

Other views giving some idea of the rugged nature of this battle field include

P1070012.JPG.0c519f021246e7d017046a74d3f75ab5.JPG

In short, it is well worth the climb up to the roof if it can be fitted in to the itinerary's schedule

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

We went onto the roof but I was too busy explaining the battle(s) to take any photos. Thank you for sharing these.

8 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

We went onto the roof 

Well done Gareth.

I enjoyed the write-up in the 'The Quickfirer!'

and note that your tour hopes to return to this battlefield

I hope to see you then

Fantastic photos. The advantage provided by cactus hedges to the defenders is evident from the photo in post #7.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by emrezmen

• 2 years later...

Just to add to this old thread, few meters west to the Nabi Samuel summit where the above pics here were taken, there is a small underground structure claimed to be turkish bunker.

In the pics are the entrance and ventilation holes.

Can anyone add something ? 

e1.JPG.1bfe8ef7bd6c605f9860e09be93163bc.JPG

e2.JPG

e3.JPG

Edited by nb2

this is not a turkish bunker,

the ottomans did not used concrete.

In my research, i proved that this is the cave that used the british as their headquarters.

The Jordanian army, much later, used it to his needs hence the guarding position near by, the walls inside the cave and the walls ouside.

Assaf

Edited by assafx

Some interesting photos.  Thanks for posting Gareth and others.  An area I know absolutely nothing about in terms of WWI