Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Requiem out of fashion?

rolt968

I was wondering around Remembrance Weekend: Has Britten's War Requiem gone out of fashion. I don't think I have heard of a performance recently, but I may just be in the wrong place.

I know that it requires considerable resources.

RM

And it is a wonderful piece... This time of the year I generally sing to myself the 'What Passing Bells' section... I would love to play it a home this time of the year as I used to do years ago, but these days, a small 2-bedroomed flat, and wife and kids and ma-in-law visiting to boot, well... I was lucky enough when 13-14 to hear the matinee / premiere rehearsal in Coventry

Yes, it was composed specially for the consecration of the new Cathedral in 1962. It is a reflection of the Cathedral's interest in peace and reconciliation, that Benjamin Britten, his partner, the singer Peter Pears, and friend Michael Tippett were all conscientious onjectors in WW2, and all contributed to the festival marking the Cathedral's conscecration.

I'd be a bit surprised if it didn't crop up next year.  There were a few performances in 2013 (being Britten's centenary year), and in 2014 for the opening of the First World War centenary period, which probably contributes a little to a seeming lull now.  It was last performed at the Proms in 2014 https://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/events/works/145fc3a0-b3a1-4bcc-ac4e-adb7a3eed972 and you can see from that page it's averaging a performance every 5 years or so (no Proms appearances in the 1980s.

My wife was lucky enough to sing it in Coventry Cathedral with Cambridge University Music Society on the 60th anniversary of the bombing.

I use Spotify (other streaming services available) and have it downloaded on my iphone. Playing it in the car whilst visiting the battlefields is very moving.