Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Dorset War dairy

Malcolm Linham

Pals 

Does any one have the  WO95 reference for the 5th Dorsets in early 1917.

I have failed to find any reference in the National Archives, and I cam only find 1st & 6th Battalions on Ancestry .

Best wishes 

Malcolm 

Russ 

That's brilliant , thank you.

What did you search on ?  I thought I tried all the obvious combinations .

Best wishes 

Malcolm 

• Admin

I find from the LLT in which Brigade and Division the Battalion was part.

The I start from this page on Ancestry:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=60779

Using the drop down menus on the right, select the various infantry Brigades for the correct Division (11th in this example), and then scroll down to select the piece for the correct brigade (34th in this example) in that Division.

Russ

Russ

Thank you for the explanation, every day is a school day for someone and I've learnt something new.

Thank you again 

Malcolm 

An alternative route - find the diary in the TNA catalogue:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=5 battalion dorsetshire&_cr=wo 95&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Note the reference - WO 95/1820/1 the Piece number is the number after WO 95/ (1820)

Go to Ancestry war diaries (in this case France & Flanders):

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=60779

Put the TNA Piece number (1820)  in the KEYWORD search box - and hit search.  Don't put anything in any other box.

First search result is the first page of the Piece.

If the TNA reference has a thrid part greater than 1 you may have to scroll a fair way through the Piece to find the section you are after - not a problem in this case.

Phil 

Thank you for your reply , can you explain what you actually searched at the TNA  as I searched  dors* dorsets & dorsetshire and I only got one result relating to a Yeomanry regiment , this was within the advanced search of WO/95.

Best wishes 

Malcolm 

if you search "5 battalion Dorsetshire" rather than "5th"

TNA tends not to use "th"

regards

Jon

Jon 

Thank you, I understand where I was going wrong by just searching Dorsetshire and expecting a to get a list of all the Battalions. 

Working on the principle that the less you put in the more that you get back, TNA appears to work the other way around.

Another lesson learned.

Thanks again

Malcolm 

19 hours ago, Malcolm Linham said:

Jon 

Thank you, I understand where I was going wrong by just searching Dorsetshire and expecting a to get a list of all the Battalions. 

Working on the principle that the less you put in the more that you get back, TNA appears to work the other way around.

Another lesson learned.

Thanks again

Malcolm 

Search for Dorsetshire with a filter of WO 95 and you'll get lots of battalion diaries (I hesitate to say all - there are occasional exceptions).

20 hours ago, Malcolm Linham said:

Phil 

Thank you for your reply , can you explain what you actually searched at the TNA  as I searched  dors* dorsets & dorsetshire and I only got one result relating to a Yeomanry regiment , this was within the advanced search of WO/95.

Best wishes 

Malcolm 

It is WO 95 - if you used WO/95 it won't find anything.