Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Cemetery

CROONAERT

Can anyone give me any information about ,or the location of ,this former German cemetery in/near Poelcapelle? I have a feeling that it was the original burial place of a friend of mine's Grandfather.

Thanks,

Dave.

post-19-1053670237.jpg

I have a feeling this might be the German cemetery that used to be south of Varlet Farm, in the hamelet of Wallmoelen, but am not sure if that cemetery survived the war intact.

Dave,

I think it is Poelkapelle 115 ( pictures beneath I hope:-). It was situated on the way from Poelkapelle to Westrozebeke right in front of the British Cemetery.

Jacky

post-19-1053707259.jpg

Dave,

Forgot. If it is indeed this Cemetery then original name is: Deutsche Ehrenfriedhof Poelkapelle Ost.

jacky

Hello,

if it was this cemetery, then 54 identified bodies were reburied in the German Cemetery of Langemark around 1955.

Jan

I think it is Poelkapelle 115 ( pictures beneath I hope:-). It was situated on the way from Poelkapelle to Westrozebeke right in front of the British Cemetery.

Thanks for the answers. It certainly looks like the one mentioned. Out of curiosity, roughly what year would you put on my photo, where the wooden crosses remain - 1920/21 maybe?

Thanks again,

Dave.

PS. Does anyone know if a list of those interred here survives anywhere?

These crosses were placed around 1927-1932. I would date this series of post cards somewhere in the 1930's.

The cemetery lists (well, most of them) are still existing somewhere in the archive of the Royal Army Museum in Brussels, it is not easy to find these or consult them. The German War Graves Commission also has these lists (but it is even more difficult to consult them there).

Jan

Thanks Jan.

If I get my friend to contact the Kriegsgraberfursorge, giving them the name of his gt.grandfather, they should be able to tell him whether he was originally in this cemetery then. (He's now in Langemarck).

Thanks again,

Dave.

It is not that simple, it is often not easy to get an answer from the Volksbund deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. They're very busy with the cemeteries in the East and they will probably answer with XX is buried there nowadays and not give any further information... I hope he will get more.

If he didn't, you can always give me the name, I have regimental histories (often with lists of the fallen etc.) and I am working on the German cemeteries, so I go to Brussels every now and then.

Jan

Jan.

I'll see what happens then. If a blank is drawn, would you mind if I pass the details on to you, to see what you can come up with?

Apart from his name, I don't think my friend knows many details about his grandfather's service. I'll (we'll!!) try and find out his unit for you in the meantime.

Thanks,

Dave.

Jan,

Do you know what happend to the memorials who were on the different German Cemeteries after their concenttation in the 50ies?

Jacky

Well, most of the original stones and monuments were destroyed or "recycled" (used to reinforce roads etc.) somewhere between 1918 and 1930. Some cemeteries got new monuments around 1930, these monuments were destroyed in the 1950's. Some where completely smashed and used as building material for foundations etc., others are told to be buried (a deep hole was dug next to the monument and the the monument was then turned over and buried).

There is a policy now in the Volksbund to renovate the old monuments and gravestones when they are found and place them back on the cemeteries.

Jan