Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

‘First World War Widows’ Pension Forms’ on Findmypast

alf mcm

I think this may be a new set of records.

Findmypast has a new set of records called ‘First World War Widows’ Pension Forms’. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/british-armed-forces-first-world-war-widows-pension-forms   Details include name of widow, date of marriage, names of children, place and cause of death, and amount of pension {and when it expires}.

This seems to be an extremely useful set of records.

Regards,

Alf McM

4 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

I think this may be a new set of records.

Findmypast has a new set of records called ‘First World War Widows’ Pension Forms’. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/british-armed-forces-first-world-war-widows-pension-forms   Details include name of widow, date of marriage, names of children, place and cause of death, and amount of pension {and when it expires}.

This seems to be an extremely useful set of records.

Regards,

Alf McM

Never seen them before on FMP - they look a bit like WFA's pension cards (which were being digitized)

EDIT:

" This collection is from The National Archives’ series PIN 82, Ministry of Pensions: First World War Widows’ Pensions Forms. "

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Fom Findmypast;-

This collection is from The National Archives’ series PIN 82, Ministry of Pensions: First World War Widows’ Pensions Forms. The pension forms were created by the Ministry of Pensions, and these are only a sample of the original forms. This collection represents less than 2% of the original records; the rest of the collection was destroyed. For data protection reasons, Findmypast has suppressed any records with children born less than 100 years ago. The records include the names of soldiers who died during and after the First World War. You will find pension records for soldiers who died up to 1925.

It is estimated that three to four million women became war widows during the First World War and most had children to support. Each record will provide you with the name of the soldier’s next of kin. You may also find notes if a soldier was missing and then later confirmed to be deceased. For example, the record for Private Benjamin Adams of the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment recorded the name of his wife, Catherine Adams of Sultans in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. From the record, we discover that Private Adams was reported as wounded and missing in France from 4 March 1917. Catherine Adams began to receive the pension from the 17 December 1917; prior to this, Mrs Adams was receiving the separation allowance. The image of the original document shows a stamp stating deceased. Therefore, from the time the record was first created and Private Adams was missing, he was later confirmed to be deceased.

Regards,

Alf McM

Very interesting.

We seem to be stumbling upon new records rather than receiving a clear notice from FMP. Am I missing something not being on TwitFace Thingy?

Charlie

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

Fom Findmypast;-  "...It is estimated that three to four million women became war widows during the First World War..."

Not sure I recognise that number?

They are talking about a specifically UK only dataset aren't they?

13 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Not sure I recognise that number

We were clearly a nation of bigamists (or multiple thereof) without knowing.   edit - forgot the word- polygamists

Edited by charlie962

17 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Fom Findmypast;-

This collection is from The National Archives’ series PIN 82, Ministry of Pensions: First World War Widows’ Pensions Forms. The pension forms were created by the Ministry of Pensions, and these are only a sample of the original forms. This collection represents less than 2% of the original records; the rest of the collection was destroyed. For data protection reasons, Findmypast has suppressed any records with children born less than 100 years ago. The records include the names of soldiers who died during and after the First World War. You will find pension records for soldiers who died up to 1925.

It is estimated that three to four million women became war widows during the First World War and most had children to support. Each record will provide you with the name of the soldier’s next of kin. You may also find notes if a soldier was missing and then later confirmed to be deceased. For example, the record for Private Benjamin Adams of the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment recorded the name of his wife, Catherine Adams of Sultans in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. From the record, we discover that Private Adams was reported as wounded and missing in France from 4 March 1917. Catherine Adams began to receive the pension from the 17 December 1917; prior to this, Mrs Adams was receiving the separation allowance. The image of the original document shows a stamp stating deceased. Therefore, from the time the record was first created and Private Adams was missing, he was later confirmed to be deceased.

Regards,

Alf McM

I think all the people I am researching are in the other 98%!

Unfortunate to give an example with a mis-transcription. Sutton in Ashfield, surely?

RM

Edit: Good to see this set, though.

Edited by rolt968

FindMyPast typically announce new releases on a Friday.  The practicalities of loading up a large dataset means they will creep onto the database over the previous few days.

I subscribe to FindMyPast, and every Friday I eagerly await the announcement of their new records.  Every Friday I'm disappointed as it turns out to be more 18th century parish registers from Huntingdonshire, or something similar.  Then I find out through this forum that they're releasing records I'm very interested in, like the War Office Casualty Lists, or the MH106 medical registers, and now this.

It makes me wonder if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.  It's fortunate that the Forum members are more switched on than the FMP marketing team.

Meanwhile I'm standing by for tomorrow's release of new records.  Probably a fresh batch of wills from the Outer Hebrides. 

John

The  findmypast  advice of release of  records on Friday 17 November 2017 included the details of British Armed Forces, First World War Widows' Pension Forms and British Army, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/findmypast-friday-2510209343.html

David said above: The practicalities of loading up a large dataset means they will creep onto the database over the previous few days.

Cheers

Maureen

Hi, I wrote my message on November 16 and they announced all these new military records on November 17, so maybe I jumped the gun.  Clearly they don't announce their new records as soon as they come online, since they'd already been spotted by Forum members.  However the main thing is that they do make these important records available, and they do include them in their Friday announcements, even if not immediately. 

Can't complain about that!

John