Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very Very big dart from German aircraft ?

arantxa

Hi this  is big and heavy  its about the length of your hand and a half again

it has a piece of paper  says dropped by german aircraft APRILL Faversham 1915

it is also dated  1915 with german marks

any idea its way to big for a fletchette and heavy

photo 1.JPG

It may be thought to be too unnecessarily big and heavy to be an anti-personnel flechette, but it could be intended as an anti-materiel device.

After all, a similar form of solid projectile (in the form of Armour Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot) is still one of the two types of ammunition normally deployed in present day tank tactics.

Edited by Stoppage Drill
Typo

This doesn't identify the device, but whatever it is was dropped from an Albatros B.II from Feldflieger Abteilung 41, which crossed the coast at KIngsdown at 11.45 on 16 April 1915.  On their way back from Sittingbourne, the crew dropped five incendiaries and, it seems, something else, over Faversham.

Gareth

Faversham was home to a number of explosives works, grenade, depth charge and aerial bomb factories. Perhaps they hoped to set off stocks of completed munitions with this? 

It would be good for this to be shown in the town museum. More may come to light.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Earlier threads reported flechettes going through men from head to toe. I wouldn't expect anything smaller or lighter than the op to accomplish that. 

/Dan 

39 minutes ago, Beechhill said:

Earlier threads reported flechettes going through men from head to toe. I wouldn't expect anything smaller or lighter than the op to accomplish that. 

/Dan 

I think you'd be surprised. Here's one from a modern day anti personnel round. 

The flechette in the op looks much larger and heavier than any I've seen previously and is surely designed to penetrate more than civilians. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Beechhill said:

/Dan 

That would be the standard flechette. The one pictured must be 20 times heavier at least. In Vietnam the US used tiny mini bombs which were thrown out of helicopters by the bucketful. They would kill a man but were mainly designed the break an lorry engine on the Ho Chi Minh trail. 

Edited by Gunner Bailey

The modern small, light flechettes referred to here are explosively propelled to high velocity. That is what makes them lethal. If simply dropped from an altitude of a few hundred feet, as in the Great War, they would not gain nearly that much velocity. Flechettes that are simply being dropped need to be heavier.

Edited by Wexflyer

12 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

The modern small, light flechettes referred to here are explosively propelled to high velocity. That is what makes them lethal. If simply dropped from an altitude of a few hundred feet, as in the Great War, they would not gain nearly that much velocity. Flechettes that are simply being dropped need to be heavier.

I agree. Even at terminal velocity the flechettes would need considerably more mass to penetrate men, equipment, and ... (allegedly)  Horses(!). 

Khaki displayed a fine collection in this thread:

Edited by Beechhill

16 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

Beechhill   

Beechhill

I may have underestimated the effect of the flechette. I stand humbly corrected (and a little affirmed) with this quote:

"... the thrumming of the engine was heard. When it was right over our heads it let fly a rack full of steel darts and they came clattering down into the village streets. One stuck into the pavement in front of our quarters. It was so deeply imbedded that not a man in the company could pull it out. 

These steel darts were from eight inches to a foot long, cut so that they would fall point downward. Dozens of them were contained in a single rack [...] They would go through anything they hit, but they were found to be too inaccurate and not so economical as explosives". 

"The Black Watch" , Joe Cassells

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33278

Edited by GWF1967

16 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

I doubt if a few hundred feet is correct. Far too vulnerable to small arms and Lewis gun fire. I would suggest 2000-5000ft would be more like it. This would be similar to the small mini bombs dropped in Vietnam who could go right through a human being or shatter an engine block of a lorry. I've got one somewhere. If I can find it I'll put up a photo.

From "Navy and Army" magazine. Jan 1915. 

"The Flechette. A steel arrow that will penetrate a man's body from head to foot"

image.jpeg

50 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

That is a truly horrifying looking weapon. Were they banned?

Dave

Ask a Palestinian!  

U.S. Vietnam era, anti personnel "devil's  toothpick" flechette.  1 1/2" long. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Ask a Palestinian!  

U.S. Vietnam era, anti personnel "devil's  toothpick" flechette.  1 1/2" long. 

image.jpeg

Were these inside the 'Hive' artillery shells? Designed to fired into jungle and literally ripped everything to shreds at high velocity.

25 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Were these inside the 'Hive' artillery shells? Designed to fired into jungle and literally ripped everything to shreds at high velocity.

Yup.

I'm told it was from a "beehive" round. 

• 1 year later...

Hello

anyone got any new theories on the above  its dated 1915  on fin  the fin unscrews

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:15, arantxa said:

it is also dated  1915 with german marks

Could you post a close-up of the 'German marks'.  It looks like a variation on an aerial flechette, designed to cause material damage.  You say the fin unscrews, but is the body hollow?  

5 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

Could you post a close-up of the 'German marks'.  It looks like a variation on an aerial flechette, designed to cause material damage.  You say the fin unscrews, but is the body hollow?  

Thinking tangentially, if  the body is hollow, could it have been to take messages for air to ground communication?  Wouldn't explain why it would have been dropped on Faversham though, unless  discarded in order to lighten the aircraft.

NigelS

Hello

its not very hollow..its quite heavy and I would have thought too heavy really for a plane for what it is..i then thought maybe a rope or string attached to it  but no hole ..ive had it an awfully long time and it was from a family so its not been made up..ive just never seen anything like it and cant see why a plane would carry it

15 minutes ago, arantxa said:

its not very hollow..its quite heavy and I would have thought too heavy really for a plane for what it is.

There were bigger devices dropped by hand from aeroplanes

see bottom LH illustration here

before-bombs-15.jpg

I will take some more pictures in a few days of the date etc