Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Air War

frogy

Hi everyone, I'm very interested in the air war so could anyone recommend any good books both the general history and also personal stories please?

Thanks.

My favourite memoir ( apart from' Sagittarius Rising ' by Cecil Lewis of course ) is ' Sopwith Scout 7309 ' by Gordon Taylor . ' No Parachute ' by Arthur Gould Lee

and ' Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps '  ( also known as 'Flying Fury' ) by J.T.B Mc Cudden  are also very good .

'Winged Victory', by V M Yeates is considered a classic. WW2 pilots thought it was an essential read as it was thought to give them a feeling for what they were about to encounter.

My interest is particularly the Royal Naval Air Service. Several good reads are-

In The Teeth Of The Wind by Sqdn Leader C P O Bartlett

Australian Hawk Over The Western Front by Adrian Hellwig- a biography of R S Dallas

Unknown Warrior by Mike Rosel- a biography of R A Little- although I haven't had time to read it yet!

I Chose The Sky by Leonard Rochford

A book about Samuel Marcus Kinkhead from South Africa- which I lent out and haven't got back yet- hence

can't remember title! He flew in the Med and was then transferred to The Western Front where he downed

many enemy aircraft. He remained in the RAF, but died testing aircraft for The Scneider Trophy in between

the wars.

Regards

Geoff

I found  "Voices in Flight: Conversations with Air Veterans of the Great War" by Anna Malinovska and Muriel Joslyn very interesting and well recommended.

It's a series of interviews conducted with First World War Veterans of the air war from all aspects. They were originally video recordings commissioned by the RAF Museum, Hendon, but were published in book format by Pen & Sword Publications (ISBN 1844153991) in 2006. There was also a web site by the same name which included eleven additional interviews, but this is now frozen and in fact the author doesn't now have access to them.

Copies are available on Amazon, but be careful: you need to make sure that you use the complete title, because there are quite a few books with similar titles.

Edited by The Scorer

frogy

Very much what the others have said above, could i add the following:

Wings over the Somme by W/C Gwilym Lewis DFC

The Royal Flying Corps in France  -  in 2 volumes by Ralph Barker

Combat Report by Bill Lambert DFC

Air Command by AVM Raymond Collishaw DSO DSC DFC

Brief Glory by Alex Revell 

High in the Empty Blue by Alex Revell

and you must read Winged Victory as other ranker says above its a classic of its kind and should not be overlooked.

happy reading.

Paul

:poppy:

We Will Remember Them.

If you are interested in the opposition I just finished reading  Oswald Boelcke  Germans first Fighter Ace and Father of Air Combat  written by R.G. Head Brigadier General, USAF, very informative book on how German Air force evolved (Richthofen was a student of Boelcke,s)ISBN 978-1-910690-23-9  Grub Street London. 

regards

Bob R.

Peter Kilduff's "Germany's First Air Force 1914–18"  (pub. 1996) is a very readable collection of accounts from veterans, given a chapter each, including bomber and observation balloon crews. Peter Hart's "Aces Falling, War Above the Trenches 1918" is also good on the transition from the "duelling aces" era as air power matured.

• 4 weeks later...

We may never know if our suggestions were helpful to the OP , but at least this thread has prompted me to read ' Winged Victory' . I'm not really a

fan of novels but at least this was written by someone who was actually there and based on his own war service .  I enjoyed reading the book and

thought it was very good ( if a bit long winded in parts and the anti-war theme did get a bit wearing at times ) and gave a good idea what it must have

been like for a scout pilot during the last year of the war . Maybe however , having read all the rave reviews about the book ( on the forum) beforehand

I was expecting a bit too much from it and i was left a little disappointed at the end .

2 hours ago, Black Maria said:

I'm not really a fan of novels but

Along the same lines I enoyed the Elliott White Springs books-American flying  novels by a man who had been there and done that. Particularly worth reading 'War Birds'.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:33, other ranker said:

'Winged Victory', by V M Yeates is considered a classic. WW2 pilots thought it was an essential read as it was thought to give them a feeling for what they were about to encounter.

I might be getting a lot of heat for this but… anybody else thought it sometimes incredibly boring ???

I really had problems staying concentrated on what I was reading at times… especially when they were ranting about politics.

M.

26 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I might be getting a lot of heat for this but… anybody else thought it sometimes incredibly boring ???

I really had problems staying concentrated on what I was reading at times… especially when they were ranting about politics.

M.

I didn't think it was boring but I know what you mean , some parts were quite tedious . I suppose it's like all these books that you are told beforehand are 'classics',

you just have to read them and judge for yourself. One of my personal favourites is ' Sagittarius Rising ' by Cecil Lewis but one reviewer on Amazon said that it

"dragged on a bit "  .

1 minute ago, Black Maria said:

I didn't think it was boring but I know what you mean , some parts were quite tedious . I suppose it's like all these books that you are told beforehand are 'classics',

you just have to read them and judge for yourself. One of my personal favourites is ' Sagittarius Rising ' by Cecil Lewis but one reviewer on Amazon said that it

"dragged on a bit "  .

au contraire… I found 'Sagittarius rising' quite fast paced and very nice to read… Very honest too…

well I guess it goes to show that tastes and perception can differ… and so it should.

M.

3 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

au contraire… I found 'Sagittarius rising' quite fast paced and very nice to read… Very honest too…

well I guess it goes to show that tastes and perception can differ… and so it should.

M.

Exactly , this was brought home to me when I mentioned on the forum that I found a book called ' Blood and Iron : letters from the western front ' a bit boring

( not the letters part but the 190 pages beforehand ) . One or two people disagreed with me and one mentioned that they had found a memoir called ' Have you

forgotten yet ? ' quite boring . A copy of the book had sat unread on my shelf for a few years so I decided to read it and found it to be one of the best memoirs i

have read .

Try Marked for Death: The First War in the Air by James Hamilton-Patterson for a general work on the air war that challenges the romantic view, and offers some interesting observations.

Edited by Crunchy

On 18/11/2017 at 07:51, Perth Digger said:

No one's mentioned Biggles.

Biggles

I noticed that a new memoir called ' Don't Let Them Bag the Nines: the first world war diary of a De Havilland pilot ' was published yesterday .

It's the memoir of Captain F. Williams M.C, D.F.C who flew D.H.4s on bombing raids in 1918 , looks quite good .

• 1 month later...

I was recommended elsewhere on the Forum to read the two books by Arthur Gould Lee - "No Parachute" and "Open Cockpit".

I've done this, and they were my companions during the Leger Tours "Above the Battlefield - The Airborne War" trip last week. I was glad that I did, because they are both very good books. The former is better than the latter, because it's taken from diaries and letters and is a chronological record of his time on the Western Front and elsewhere in 1917 / 1918. The other one deals with much the same period, although it ends in 1919 and is extracts from the diaries which weren't included in the first one. It's split into chapters dealing with specific areas and goes into more detail than the first book did.

Our guide on the tour referred to quite a few points which are confirmed by Arthur Gould Lee, and it was good to have the view of someone who was there. He filled in some of the gaps that inevitably happened because sometimes we were looking at empty fields and had to use our imagination to visualise what had been there and was now gone.

They're two very good books, and I'd recommend them to anyone.