Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps

John K Colin

Hi All

I am looking for some help with my grandfathers war records.....Ernest John William  T/I SR / 1066, but firstly I would like to know what a ( Wheeler ) is or was ?, On his absent voters list, he has Wheeler on his voting list....the full details are as follows.....Williams....Ernest John.....T/1  SR / 1066...S/Sgt... Wheeler...3co...30 Div..TN...A.S.C, 

I would like to know what company he was in, and where in France did he serve.....Sorry for being very vague, if I said my knowledge of army records is zero that would make me sound good....Thank you for any information or pointers you can pass on to me.......Regards    John K Colin

Hi and welcome

there is info on the ASC here that you can follow up

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/

also another posted thread of interest here

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem

Welcome to the forum John,

Wheeler or Wheelwright made and repaired wooden wheels, Ernest served as a Staff Sergeant Wheeler with number 3 Company of the 30th Divisional Train which was the 188th Company ASC. However Ernest originally went out to France with the 22nd Division as part of their divisional train, when the 22nd Division left France for Salonika the whole divisional train was transferred to the 30th Division (October 1915) and which remained in France throughout the hostilities Their war diary can be found at the National Archives in WO95/2166 (22nd Div) and WO95/2326 (30 Div), they may also be available on ancestry.

Ernest's service number T1/SR 1066 tells us that he enlisted with the Special Reserve for the new armies horse transport, it's very likely that Ernest was already a Wheeler or the like in civilian life.

J

Thank you all for your replies, It has helped me quite a bit getting to know him better, I was only year old when he died and because of my parents breaking up and with me living with my other grandparents I never got to know about him....I am now trying to piece his life together, he was a coach builder journeyman  by trade, Thank you all again for your help......John 

Hello John

Wheelers usually also carried out repairs to wagons, which would fit with his civilian occupation.

Ron

Hej John

I could only find the war diary for 30th Divl Train ASC WO95/2326/2 on ancestry. It can be found by browsing War Diaries for France, Belgium and Germany under Various (Divisional Troops) and then 30th Division. It starts on page 200 (the first part refers to 40th Mobile Veterinary Section). The war diary on ancestry covers the period September 1915 to May 1919.

Ancestry does not seem to have any war diaries related to 22 Div.

Steen

2 minutes ago, bingoworlddk said:

Ancestry does not seem to have any war diaries related to 22 Div.

Probably because they spent most of the war in Macedonia, and those War Diaries haven't been digitised yet. There is just one box containing all the War Diaries for 22nd Division's time in France: WO95/2166. Ancestry should still have it, though.

Ron

Thanks Phil for finding WO 95/2166 on Ancestry.

Had a quick look and the diary for the Divisional Train only covers September and October 1915 (the first 16 pages of the file).

It also seems to be a duplicate of the diary covered under WO 95/2326/2.

Steen