Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

chinese labour corps

And?

Perhaps an attempt to post a photograph?

Still, welcome to the forum, Mark, and please have another go at posting.

(I have a friend who has a friend who collects info about laundries of all types.)

Moonraker

'Britain's Forgotten Army', Channel 4,  Sunday 12th November at 7pm highlights the important and largely overlooked role played by 140,000 Chinese labourers in the Great War. Should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

There is also a recent podcast on the Chinese Labour Corp on the BBC History Magazine website:

http://www.historyextra.com/podcast/international-history/britains-chinese-army-first-world-war-forgotten-allied-forces

I also attach a photo of a grave of a member of the CLC

There seem to be at least 3 threads about the Chinese Labour Corps, so I'll copy this message on those other threads.

Chinese Labor Corps (619x1024) (484x800).jpg

• 11 months later...

I search informations about Liu SSU from Chinese Labour Corps died in april 1919, buried in the cemetery of Les Rues des Vignes (north of France, near Cambrai)

• 1 month later...
On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:05, Arnaud Gabet said:

I search informations about Liu SSU from Chinese Labour Corps died in april 1919, buried in the cemetery of Les Rues des Vignes (north of France, near Cambrai)

TOMBE LIU SSU.png

A contingent of 450 Chinese Labour Corps workers returned home on the SS Stentor in 1919.  They were picked up at Le Havre, but on the first night there was a knife fight between the Manchurian and Cantonese men.  The OC Troops issued arms and ammunition to the British soldiers, but they were not needed because the Missionary Officers managed to break up the fight.  The Cantonese disembarked at Hong Kong and the Northern Chinese were dropped off at Tsingtao, where a Japanese officer with shining armour and a clanking sword supervised their pay and demobilisation.

4 hours ago, Arnaud Gabet said:

the name of his bataillion (the name of his camp in 1919) and the date of his arrival in France

As far as I am aware, records do not exist for this type of information

There has been a book published on the Chinese Labour Corps

The Chinese Labour Corps 1916-1920 by Gregory James, (a Forum member user name Gregory), which is described in  https://ww1centenary.net/2013/12/05/ww1-books-the-chinese-labour-corps-1916-20/ and is nearly 1300 pages long.

Cheers

Maureen

• 1 year later...
On 29/12/2018 at 01:06, Maureene said:

As far as I am aware, records do not exist for this type of information

There has been a book published on the Chinese Labour Corps

The Chinese Labour Corps 1916-1920 by Gregory James, (a Forum member user name Gregory), which is described in  https://ww1centenary.net/2013/12/05/ww1-books-the-chinese-labour-corps-1916-20/ and is nearly 1300 pages long.

Cheers

Maureen

a very good book containing an absolute wealth of information printed in 2013

• 3 years later...

I paid a visit to the last resting place of Coolie Ch’un Ch’ ih Wang of the Chinese Labour Corps at Poperinge Old Military Cemetery late last year. Sentenced to death for murder of a colleague and executed at Poperinghe on 8th May 1919. The last execution? 

51EA54EB-4417-41E5-9815-B683B4C073BA.jpeg

• 3 months later...

“Today in WW2 History” (ww2db.com/event/today/), covers events during WW I which were relevant to WW II, though the relvance to WW II of the incident described below is not apparent.
It says that, on 10th July, 1917, members of the 42nd [Company] Chinese Labour Corps rioted against harsh treatment by their British officers, and that the C.O., a Captain Allin, ordered a squad to fire on them, killing five and wounding 14. Captain Allin was said subsequently to have been removed from command.
However, the C.W.G.C. records for the day show only one Chinese Labour Corps member to have died, and he was in the 26th Company. There were three recorded as having died the day before, on 9th July, one of whom is identified as being from the 42nd Company; no company number is included in the records of the other two.
Is there any truth in the report of this incident?