Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILHELM HOLLER

Terry_11

I have half the ID disc of the abovenamed.  Further information is that DOB/POB was 16 Jan 93, Ungstein PF.  Further information is:  A.2.65.  1 ERS Batl.  BAV.  18 J. R.  1.K.  The reverse has:  Bav.  18 J.R. 12. K. No. 99.  I would like to know more about Wilhelm.  There is a file on Ancestry with the same name, but I don't have a subscription for that portion of the forum.  If anyone can assist it would be most appreciated.  Regards, Terry

Welome to GWF!

Hopefully, it is the bottom half!!!

A picture would help to determine which model you have - sounds like it might be a M.1916... As I understand it, he went from the 1 Ersatz Bataillon Kgl. Bayer. 18. Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Ludwig Ferdinand1 Kompagnie, to the regiment proper, 12 Kompagnie.

Trajan

Hello,

Could you post a picture? Is it a relic? Where did you get the disc?

Wilhelm Holler died near Messines on 7 June 1917 (artillery shell head). Burial place unknow.

(information from the Kriegsstammrollen)

Jan

The disc was among the effects of an NZ Soldier.  Possibly he picked it up on the battlefield; the family doesn't know.  Happy to post a picture of both sides of the disc, but I may need some help.  Regards, Terry

What help do you need on posting a photograph? Be nice to know also which regiment the NZ soldier was in to tie in in with the ID - i.e., if his regiment in the same area as the (presumably) dead Bavarian, or if no connection and he picked it up later. 

If it is the Wilhelm Holler killed in Jun 17, my man was with the NZ Pioneer Battalion, prob B Coy, during the Messines offensive.  The coy was engaged in constructing and operating a train/tram system between a rail-head and the front line.  I have attached two jpegs of the disc.  Regards, Terry

Disc22042017.jpg

Disc22042017_0001.jpg

3 hours ago, Terry_11 said:

If it is the Wilhelm Holler killed in Jun 17, my man was with the NZ Pioneer Battalion, prob B Coy, during the Messines offensive.  The coy was engaged in constructing and operating a train/tram system between a rail-head and the front line.  I have attached two jpegs of the disc.  Regards, Terry

Photographs don't enlarge very well, but it looks to me to be a 1915/1916 type.

On the lower photograph you can see his date of birth  - (?) 18 01 1895, and on the bottom his initial unit - 1 Ersatz Bataillon Kgl. Bayer. 18. Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Ludwig Ferdinand1 Kompagnie. But I can't make out his home address...

The Verlustenlisten has one Wilhelm Holler in the Bavarian 18 I.R. -

Holler Wilhelm Ungstein, Pfalz Bayern 316 18. Infanterie-Regiment           1261 1916-11-14 16256

- Unteroffizier, "Schwer verwundet" - badly wounded 14 11 1916

and two others only from Bavaria - 

Holler Wilhelm Ungstein, Pfalz Bayern 359             1636 1917-09-21 20762

- Unteroffizier, "Gefallen" - died 21 09 1917

Holler Wilhelm Deggendorf, Niederb. Bayern 277 7. Feldartillerie-Regiment           1038 1916-07-07 13267

So, the first and second probably your man - he certainly won't be the last one from 7 FAR! So death reported 21 09 1917.

Has no known grave as AOK4 post 3 above.

Edited by trajan
Clarify dod

Well, that ticks the boxes then! Now, this being the lower half, collected before burial, I wonder how it came to be in the hands of a NZ soldier? We'll never know, sadly...

He was probably buried by them in some anonymous grave.

Thanks to all for the above.  Mark, I presume you mean the 2nd and 3rd Bns, NZRB.  The personnel files are available through Archway here in NZ.  I also have a copy of the NZRB unit history.  If I can help get back to me.  Regards,  Terry

Can't help there, I'm afraid - maybe Jan (AOK)?

There is, by the way, although I have never seen a copy, a book on these:

Meinlschmidt, Peter, Die Deutschen Erkennungsmarken des 1. Weltkriegs (1992); also in French - Les plaques d'identité allemandes de la 1ère guerre mondiale histoire évolutive de la mobilisation et de l'agrandissement de l'armée allemande en 1914-18 (1992); and in English - German WW1 Identity Tags/Disks (1993). Privately published so no ISBN...

It is a number from the time he was in the Ersatz-Unit (training unit in Germany) after he was wounded at the Somme in 1916.

Jan