Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find Manchester Drill Hall

Sidearm

... and the Norquoys were also from Orkney, so house name Orcadia makes sense.

Just managed to get stable WiFi for the first time in days and am surprised and delighted by how this thread has developed. Beyond my wildest dreams really.  I still won't be back for several days but in the meantime I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed.  What a great place this forum is!

Gwyn

As my flight has been delayed - and delayed - and now delayed again, I have been looking into this in light of the information supplied.

There's an article in the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser for Monday 12 April 1915.  A snip is shown below.

It implies that the building we're looking for is the Temple Ironworks itself, and that implies that the firm had moved to another location.

So, my hunt is over, except for finding the true location of Robinson & Kershaw, but I do seem to have stimulated a wider discussion which is all to the good.

Thanks for all the help, Mark in particular but also all who have contributed.

Gwyn 

Capture.JPG

James Norquoy was an architect and a graduate of the Manchester School of Art.

Lots of background to Peace and Norquoy Ltd and the linked families on the Hunterian's Mackintosh website here:

http://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/name/?nid=PeaNor

Peace & Norquoy folding partitions were used in a number of Charles Rennie Mackintosh buildings. ... including a drill hall in Fife!

Their factory was at New Islington Works, Unwin Street, Ancoats.

Mark

2 hours ago, Sidearm said:

So, my hunt is over, except for finding the true location of Robinson & Kershaw, but I do seem to have stimulated a wider discussion which is all to the good.

Gwyn

Robinson & Kershaw still have a presence at 22 Temple Street in 1942, as there are job adverts from then in the MEN.

It seems they did not vacate the Temple Ironworks in April 1915, but made an older part of the site available to the battalion.

They seem to have eventually ended up in Dukinfield.

Edited by MBrockway

1929 Kelly's Directory has Robinson & Kershaw still at the N end of Temple Street, but with additional premises at KIRKMANSHULME LANE in Longsight.

The site is now housing, but was on the NE corner of the Kirkmanshulme Lane/New Bank Street junction immediately next to Longsight Station (which closed in 1958).

They're not there in 1911 and they're gone by 1947.  The housing there in 1947 look like 1930's semis.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 19:21, MBrockway said:

I think Gwyn's not back for a few days anyway, so it'd be marvellous if you could take a look for us.

I think what we'd need is the Volunteer Force List October 1918 Lancashire Volunteer Regiment equivalent for this Anglesey page Graham Stewart has posted elsewhere.

A scan/picture of the members of 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalions, Manchester Regiment based at Temple Street and Seymour Grove respectively and any HQ staff of the 'Manchester Group'  at Mosley Street should give us everyone in the city centre locations.  Spotting the infamous Major Norquay would be even better!

Bad News and Good News

Bad-  After 2 goes and referring it at Kew-  Volunteer Force List for October 1918 is missing from the library shelves at Kew

Good news-  the TNA Library copy was a Ray Westlake reprint- I was unaware that  one had been done by him.  Currently appears to be one copy for sale on ABE.......  Just in time for C*R*****s   Presents!

If you want something taken from another copy, then can do within a few days

• 4 weeks later...

GUEST, I have only just picked up on this.  Thanks for the extra searching.  I think I'm done so far but this thread may have sparked interest in the subject amongst others.

Gwyn

On 03/01/2018 at 20:38, Sidearm said:

GUEST, I have only just picked up on this.  Thanks for the extra searching.  I think I'm done so far but this thread may have sparked interest in the subject amongst others.

Gwyn

Happy to look up the BL copy of the slightly earlier version,if you wish.

The 1918  list should be out there with a GWF member as a Ray Westlake reprint-it may be worth putting up a thread with an obvious title to ask just that.

Pip,pip

Apologies Gwyn, but we realised some time back that over on the Manchesters website, themonsstar (famed of this parish) had posted the Lancashire Volunteer Regiment pages from the 1918 Volunteer Force List !  Since the topics on TheManchesters website were hyperlinked higher up in this topic, I neglected to report that find here - apologies!

See this topic: TheManchesters.org: Lancashire Volunteer Regiment Lists for 1918

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1369.0;a

It's also worth reading the topic charlie started over there after reading yours here: TheManchesters.org: Manchester Regt Volunteer Bns 1918

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

GUEST - this emerged after you'd done your digging at the BL et al., so your visit there was not superfluous at the time you made it!  Mark